I can't pick things up? But I'm not encumbered.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I can't pick things up? But I'm not encumbered.
Apprentice
Member # 5899
Profile #0
Again.. i looked (searched) before this posting which returned zero results. I can't believe there's not an answer here already - so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Occasionally I find something like a healing pod or spores, or even thorns, and am told that I can't pick it up. If I drop something else, I can pick up the new item.

However... I'm not encumbered. Carrying 81# / Encumbered at 100#

What's the deal?

--------------------
I want to stop. Stop playing games, live your live, step away from the computer and go outside. I just can't help myself.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
There's also a maximum number of items that you can carry, regardless of weight.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5899
Profile #2
Oh. Bummer. I suppose that was told to me somewhere or in the "how to" but I must have missed it.

Thank you for your speedy response.

Edit/addendum: Wait... I'm still a little confused... I canNOT pick up/carry a book... but I can pick up/carry a pod?? So.. it's letting me pick up/carry some things, but not others. And the only message is "cannot carry it".
TIA

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 08:59: Message edited by: Rosie ]

--------------------
I want to stop. Stop playing games, live your live, step away from the computer and go outside. I just can't help myself.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #3
There is a limited number of spots in your inventory. If your inventory is full, you'll still be able to pickup stackable items (such as pods), if you are already carrying some, but will not be able to pick up any items that would take a new inventory spot.

PS Dropped items always stay there, even if you leave an area for a long time. So you can solve inventory problems by making piles of items you don't currently need at an entrance to some town.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

PS Dropped items always stay there, even if you leave an area for a long time. So you can solve inventory problems by making piles of items you don't currently need at an entrance to some town.
In my experience, I have always found this to be a bad idea. I once had to search half of G2 in order to find a stupid flawless crystal that I had dropped with a bunch of other crap.

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 09:40: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Dropping everything at random is bad. Picking one town as a base, and putting everything there near one exitzone, in neatly organized piles, is not a problem -- just a pathology.

In every darn Geneforge game I've ever played, I have wound up with way more stuff piled up in town than I ever actually needed. You can really just sell most stuff. But it is worth keeping sets of resistant items, for use in particular areas. And of course it is reasonable to stockpile crystals, pods and living tools.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
For an example of an even more obsessive organization: I had various kinds of items in separate piles in various cities. (Drypeak for quest items, pods and spores, Medab for weapons, armor and ammunition, etc.) Unfortunately, I can't do this in Geneforge 3, because it takes time to travel between cities.

Just make sure you don't make hostile the factions in whose cities you are storing stuff, unless you are ready to wipe out all the guards in town to get your stuff back. :)

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 11:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
Yes, my day count in Geneforge 3 was bumped up like nobody's business because I had several drop spots on the various islands, and could never remember where I put that Shaped Blade or Demon's Bile, so I spent a lot of time wandering around —

"Is this the right town? No, but there's some nice stuff here I had piled up that I can sell... Oh look, here's a Wand of the Inferno! I didn't even know I'd come across one of those. And lookee here, another magic spike thing! I love these! Why on earth did I leave this *here* of all places?"

—Repeat for 15 days...
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
I would use a single town as a storage site, but several homes within it. My favorite spot was with the Obeyers by the east exit, so that's where I put the most valuable things.

The Obeyers are one of the harder towns to make angry, so it was a secure spot. I would be too lazy to travel between towns to get my things.

Edit: In GF3 it was annoying having to carry all my loot to the next island, but I did it for each one, so my stuff would be right there waiting.

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 14:45: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5899
Profile #9
Learninf from your eaperiences here - I've begun keeping notes (place: dropped loot / pleace: mind / place: pools) - thanks for sharing!@! -rosie

--------------------