Purist ending

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Purist ending
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Not to spoil anything, but if you play as a purist, you do get a significantly nicer ending as a loyalist. The differences don't change the world, but I liked them. It did seem worthwhile.

A purist doesn't touch canisters, or get shaped or augmented or modified in any way. Training is fine. In G2 you could still get the purist ending if you used no more than ten canisters. (Getting modified for fourth tier magic also counted, but I can't remember how much it counted in terms of canisters.) I don't know what the threshold might be in G3; my Guardian was simon pure, and didn't touch anything weird at all.

The purist route is not really such a big deal for a Guardian, but it would probably be quite a burden for Agents and Shapers. Agents, in fact, would be badly hampered. I'm sure you could win the game, perhaps by taking the stealth path instead of battle, but you would probably have to give up clearing the Monastery Caves.

EDIT: Mike Montgomery deserves enduring fame for discovering the purist alternative, in G2.

[ Sunday, June 05, 2005 08:48: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
I played a Purist Loyalist Agent.

Cleared the Monastary Caves with some effort, but it's doable. On Torment.

Infact, that was the game I started noticing Alwan's fatal flaws.

The Agent is that strong. She can can stand on her own canisters or no.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Warrior
Member # 70
Profile #2
Wow, DV I played a Purist Loyalist Agent also. I played on normal though, all that hardship isnt what I like about the game. ;)

I also saved the character right before going back to the mainland and went back through the game getting as many canisters as possible.

I actually found that I liked that ending too, finally the shapers get some sense knocked into them.

--------------------
Death always wins, because the bastard cheats.
Apprentice
Member # 4106
Profile #3
How can leaving canisters help agents?
I have not used any canister till now and I have smashed the rebels.
But the ice spray spell in rebel camp was tempting.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #4
I'm not completely certain, but I think the threshold in GF3 is 6 canisters (more than this results in uncontrollable violence towards rogue serviles). I'm playing a nearly purist agent who has used 3 canisters so far (just cleared Gull Island and am doing the top of Monastery of Tears). Also, I think that modifications from some individuals (Drakon on Spears, Shaper on Spears, Shaper in Monastery of tears) don't actually add to this number. I'll let you all know when I complete the game.

Wow, that's a decent number of parentheses.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Hmmm, I suppose that actually canisters aren't as big a deal to Agents as they were in G2, anyway. I found that Kill and Aura of Flames were actually quite nerfed, compared to what they were, because the top monsters seem to resist stunning and magic very well. Kill was good for Rotghroths, but otherwise I did end up using Searer and Ice Lances and Essence Orbs most of the time, anyway.

Where I'd miss canisters most would be with a Shaper, because then I'd never get Gazers, and so be unable to smirk everything to death.

Hey, though: since things have been rebalanced a bit since G2, has anyone actually tried Drakons and Rotghroths? How do they compare with Gazers now? In G2 it seemed they were clearly worse.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #6
Essence Orb breath from the Drakkons seems to do just a bit more damage now. Also "feels" like it hits more often against endgame enemies.

Rots are better. How exactly? Well, not for damage. Attack power is so so, but man, they are damage sponges now. They can get pounded on and their parry skills along with their own damage resistance really makes for a tough creation. There are creations that do more damage easiliy, but I have not found a creation that is so tough.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Warrior
Member # 70
Profile #7
I have a question.

Does getting 'shaped' by the Shaper and/or rogue 'rogue' Drakon on Isle of Spears count as Canister use?

--------------------
Death always wins, because the bastard cheats.
Apprentice
Member # 5844
Profile Homepage #8
no it doesn't count. I just finished and I didn't use any canisters, but I got shaped by the beseiged shaper and the drakon for money and the guy in the monestary. Still got the purist ending, so you should be good.