Parry not so nerfed?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Parry not so nerfed?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Well, duh. Finally I actually looked at what Parry in G3 is supposed to do, and it says it reduces the damage you take in melee, and at high levels gives you a chance to block it completely. So the total blocking effect, with its nice 'ka-ching!' sound, happens about as often now as a riposte did in G2. There is no riposting in G3.

Instead there seems to be a sort of 'resist melee' effect that lowers all your hand-to-hand damage. And I think this is not so bad. My Guardian with the high Parry was taking a lot less damage than Alwan from hand-to-hand opponents, even back when he had the Crystalline Shroud and not much armor.

Parry still isn't the game-breaker it was in G2, and it definitely isn't worth going all out to start the game with Parry of 10. But it's not just a waste; it may even be worth what it costs.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #1
Yes as I have been saying for much time. :o

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #2
Dexterity is a better bang for the buck though. High dexterity means you never get hit hardly. Combined with a little Parry for the odd time you do get clobbered, you have a good chance of survival.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
But Dexterity costs so much more ...

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
But also offers greater returns with the proper build. Dexterity adds to both accuracy and damage for missile weapons. So that's a three way return per skill point invested. Parry is a two way return. Damage reduction and a minor boost to your relative armor value.

What needs to be determined is when you hit diminishing returns on one or the other. When does it make more sense to stop pumping one and start pumping the other? When would it make more sense to add to a point to Parry? At some point, armor values dwindle out. So it becomes a fair two way return between the two. Accuracy and damage or damage reduction and relative armor value increase.

Actually, at this point, I wonder if the relative armor value increase should even be factored in. With increased dexterity, you seldom get hit. So it may still be an unfair comparison, with a two way value vs nothing but damage reduction.

When would one reach this point?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.