Targeting a custom ability

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Targeting a custom ability
Apprentice
Member # 5636
Profile #0
I was wondering if anybody knew a way of having the player select a target from a custom ability script. Is there a call or something that lets you manually choose a target, kind of like when you target a spell?
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
I am not completey clear on this, but I do not think that custom abilities can take targets. However, you can make a custom item that has targets and link it to a scenario script state. Use who_is_custom_item_target() to get the ID of the targetted creature.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Garrison's right. We've asked Jeff for such a call, but it has not been granted yet.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
Just a thought: the convention of making TALKING_STATE link to a dialog node is just that, a convention. You could give all the enemies a special version of basicnpc that does whatever special thing you want to do in TALKING_STATE. I haven't tested this, though, it's just a thought.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not rely entirely upon "totally reliable" spells that can be neutralized by relatively inconspicuous talismans.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Just a thought: the convention of making TALKING_STATE link to a dialog node is just that, a convention. You could give all the enemies a special version of basicnpc that does whatever special thing you want to do in TALKING_STATE. I haven't tested this, though, it's just a thought.
Conversely, dialog mode doesn't actually have to involve talking to an NPC. You can use it for more complicated special abilities, such as maybe special spell selection. I think Bahss used this for item identification, though in the form of an NPC, probably to work around the limitations of both item identification and the "This conversation is over" message.

--------------------