how best to do this?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: how best to do this?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #0
When the party attempts to leave my starting town for the first time, I want them to be, essentially, abducted and forcibly taken to a different town.

I tried using the EXIT_STATE of my town script, but while I can run my nifty little cutscene of the abduction there without a hitch, I can't seem to make the party end up in the other town instead of the outdoors (or ANYWHERE other than the outdoors square they would normally exit to, for that matter).

So... what's the best way to do this? Set up a special encounter on all the squares just inside the town boundary? I don't particularly like that solution, since the party could, at least theoretically, go there and turn around back to the town proper without intentions of exiting.

Anyone have any suggestions for some other way I haven't thought of?

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Just toss the move_to_town() call in at the end of the cutscene.

If that doesn't work, run it inside town boundaries and then add the move_to_town() call at the end of the cutscene without any time given for the party to move around.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #2
Yeah, that's what I was trying, but by the time you're in EXIT_STATE, it's too late for the move_to_new_town call to have any effect.

I guess I'll expand my town boundaries by a square and then set up a special encounter running the full distance of them, one square inside. If the party goes that far outside the town gates, I guess I can safely assume they intend to leave instead of just poking around outside the walls. :)

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 5293
Profile Homepage #3
i dont know if this would work but you could build o towns side by side like this
======================
= town a ! town b =
= ! =
= ! =
= boundres->! = <---- walls
= ! <-boundrys =
= ! =
======================

build it so that lets say you leave town a at the west exit
it will take you to the west entrance of town a by taking you out of town and wile your out the system will register that the entrance to town a is on the terain that your on and take you in

--------------------
dragons are strong i am strongerHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/
_ _ _ _ _______________________ _ _ _ _
Apprentice
Member # 5293
Profile Homepage #4
sorry text messed up

--------------------
dragons are strong i am strongerHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/
_ _ _ _ _______________________ _ _ _ _
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
I think it ought to go without saying that a nine-month-old topic based on a question from a community member who seems to have departed should be left alone. I haven't seen spyderbytes in a while, and this question was so old that you should've left it alone anyway.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00