Monster Type?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Monster Type?
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #0
When using the call place_monster(location x, location y, monster type, not worth xp), what does the monster type refer to? Is it the same as the monster race? (demon, humanoid, etc...)

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
The type is not the species, but the number that represents exactly what creature the party will encounter. For example, by default, creature type 1 is "Merchant" and type 3 is "Beggar."

I do not think Jeff officiated a formal terminology for distinguishing the many similar terms used when referring to data in the game, but it all usually make sense. A simple test should answer questions like these. Remember that for monsters, you sometimes have to supply their ID, creature type, creature number of the town, or their species, so try to keep everything clear in your mind.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #2
Yea. I just found that out. Please disregard my stupid question. I should have realized that I would have to say what type of creature it was.

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
If the call worked any other way, I guess it would yield strange generic monsters with "?" graphics. But they would have the appropriate number of limbs and shading according to species, of course.

In case you are wondering, you never really have to refer to the town number of the items you place. Species is checked only in the calls that specifically say "species." A placed monster's ID is only useful with NPCs that join the party. No, there are no calls that check for specific item types on a given location (the items can only be referred to by their special class in this case).

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.