Pointless topic about advanced scripting that will never be

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pointless topic about advanced scripting that will never be
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #0
I thought what Jeff's lightweight scripting language could become if it became object and class based, and assumed many more programming language like commands. The idea of things like alert levels, how often a script activates, the health of creatures, to be properties of a creature object was a very exciting one. But...

Would it be possible to have certain property assignment commands immediately trigger a reevaluation of these certain values? Or would I *have* to use a function to assign a property and perform an action? For example, if you change the 'type of creature' property, could that assignment also trigger the game to actively change that creature to the new creature at the same time?

The thing that set my mind off along this path was alert levels. I assume the game has a list of all the monsters which are supposed to be alerted, and will therefore run their scripts and act very often. But in the current system, I also believe that everytime a creature is alerted, its script is added to the list. The alerting functions also serve this purpose. I thought about an 'alert' property of the creature object, but changing that property wouldn't necessarily cause the game to update everything affected by that change, would it?

This is an important aspect to my little advanced scripting scheme. Otherwise, things that need to be immediately reevaluated would have to be done through a function, which would tend to clutter things.

[ Monday, August 02, 2004 20:09: Message edited by: Keep ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I have one word for you: Pygmalion. It will have these trigger things that are so complicated I don't even understand what they are.

That reminds me: it's about time for me to prod Djur again and see what the status of that thing is. *wanders off to find him*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Where is the main website for it (Pygmalion)? I thought that was some attempt to make an [open?] source RPG game that started around the time of BoE. Isn't it "done"/"given up on" yet?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
As Pygmalion is Djur's thing, Desperance (specifically this subsection more than others) is the place for all Pyg news. It is "very close" to being done -- estimates a couple weeks ago put the release date around mid-August or so.

Part of the reason that it's taken so long is that Djur's computer crashed and erased everything mid-way through and also that it has a scripting engine with far (FAR) more power than BoA. But if anyone thinks it was hard to learn BoA, my guess is that it will be three times more complicated to learn Pyg -- although Djur will be around to answer questions all the time, rather than leaving it to the designers to experiment and muck around until they figure out the answers on their own.

It resembles the Exile system in that it is 2-D with tiles (I think there are screenshots around there somewhere) and turn-based, but the scripting system is phenomenal. Read about items on the page I linked to and you'll get some feel for how much freedom and power designers will get.

Of course, all of my information is completely unofficial. Alec and others would know far more, and Djur himself would be the one to ask for any official information.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #4
I was really debating whether or not I should've really created this topic. But the other thing that got my mind bent upon thinking about this was Javascript. You change the properties of the current page in the DOM, and the effect is immediate. The assignment automatically causes compliant browsers to re-evaluate the proper changes.

But other things like the user settings in open-source programs like Firefox and others use a function to set properties, and probably other things.

Let's see if I can find the example I'm thinking of...
[Mozilla Firefox Profile Folder]/user.js:
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.linksonly", false);
user_pref("browser.download.defaultFolder", "E:\\Downloads");
user_pref("browser.download.dir", "E:\\Downloads");
user_pref("browser.download.folderList", 2);
user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "C:\\Judy");
user_pref("browser.download.manager.retention", 0);
user_pref("browser.download.save_converter_index", 0);
user_pref("browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing", false);
user_pref("browser.preferences.lastpanel", 1);
user_pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.com");
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:1.7");
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.status", true);
user_pref("extensions.disabledObsolete", true);
user_pref("extensions.lastAppVersion", "0.9");
user_pref("general.smoothScroll", true);
user_pref("intl.charset.detector", "universal_charset_detector");
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, windows-1252, windows-1250, windows-1251");
user_pref("network.cookie.prefsMigrated", true);
user_pref("privacy.popups.firstTime", false);
user_pref("security.OCSP.URL", "");
user_pref("security.OCSP.signingCA", "Builtin Object Token:Verisign Class 1 Public Primary OCSP Responder");
user_pref("security.warn_entering_secure", false);
user_pref("security.warn_leaving_secure", false);
user_pref("security.warn_submit_insecure", false);
user_pref("xpinstall.enabled", false);

--------------------
====
====