A free great text/script editor for BoA!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A free great text/script editor for BoA!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Crunchy Frog:

Eh. I don't find this too useful. Colouring is helpful and the project feature could be useful I guess, but it doesn't do anything else I want it to. In particular, if you select a block of text, and press tab, it doesn't indent - it replaces the text with a tab character. Logical, perhaps, but I find it much more intuitive to press tab to indent a selected block than Ctrl-I or whatever weird shortcut key.

Oh, and if word wrap is on, it won't jump to lines correctly. Blech. Nor will auto-indent work correctly.

I'll stick with Textpad, thanks; it has shareware nag screens, but it's almost perfect for my uses. Find is mapped to weird keys, but other than that it's much nicer. It has colouring, too. Takes a small bit of fiddling to get it working, though; you have to make a new document class; Configure -> New Document Class, call it AvernumScript, use C colouring, and enable the class for *.txt files; then you have to go and delete *.txt from the Text document class to make it happy. Oh, and PC only, sorry Mac users.

Aham... There's an "ident" icon there (one to ident forward and another to ident back) :rolleyes: (look the icons to the right of the binocular, they're greyed out because there's no selected text)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Micael:

Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor. Check this out!

Now that's a lot more helpful - especially since it's got a line counter. You should try THAT!

Crimson Editor Download Page :D :D :D

It's a nice editor. Someone already told about it in this topi, and it's in Spiderweb's links. But I think PN is a little bit more user-friendly (at least for newbies like me :D )

And it has a line counter too...

Anyway, both are very similar. And tell me if the color coding and the project folder feature don't help alot. ;)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #27
Metapad has a line counter, and is essentially Notepad with some small enhancements.

Andrea, I know what syntax colouring is for. Notice that my post was not "why on earth would you want your code coloured?", it was "I don't need my code highlighted pretty colours to be able to code."

Anyway, I'm somewhat masochistic (have you seen me code CSS?) when it comes to code. I'm not intending to flame here, I just find coding easy enough without having to have my code highlighted.

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 08:22: Message edited by: Shining Lightbulb ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Micael:

Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor.
Mostly everybody knows that I have/had an identity of GremlinChief. I don't see the real reason to hide my forum name especially since I was the one who brought that link to Spiderweb in the first place.

Differences between the two programs:
Programmer's Notepad
Download size: 1,682,264 bytes
Built in color-code syntax type schemes: 12
It can also switch to be a hex-editor...?
But I found no way to switch from Carriage Returns to Line Feeds or vice versa. That could mean trouble when debugging code for BoA.

Crimson Editor
Download size: 1,159,660 bytes
Built in color-code syntax type schemes: 17
Has a built in FTP program
Can switch from CR to LF to both.

Mostly all other features are the same, Crimson having some more advanced tools for programming.

EDIT: For some reason, PN has a built in clock...why would one need a clock if there's one on the taskbar?

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 09:54: Message edited by: RC ]

--------------------
Austrian Alex
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #29
Everybody here knows that RC is GremlinChief, as a sidenote.

[the man himself beat me to it, dammit]

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 09:59: Message edited by: Sir Henry of the Lions' Club ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 954
Profile #30
Has anyone tried ConTEXT? I've been using it and I like it.

You can get it at http://www.fixedsys.com/context

I believe it's just for Windows, though.

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 10:32: Message edited by: Shyguy ]
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

Aham... There's an "ident" icon there (one to ident forward and another to ident back) :rolleyes: (look the icons to the right of the binocular, they're greyed out because there's no selected text)
I know, I saw that. But quite frankly, they suck. :P I'm using tabs to indent, but those buttons assume that I'm using two spaces. Terrible, just terrible... and in any case, my point stands, I shouldn't have to move my hand all the way over to the mouse just to indent a few lines of code. :D

quote:

But I found no way to switch from Carriage Returns to Line Feeds or vice versa. That could mean trouble when debugging code for BoA.
Forgot to mention that. I haven't bothered to upgrade to the version where the line number counting is fixed, and it insists on saving all my files with CRLF line endings. Silly thing. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is one thing I like about PN; if you select something, it shows you how many characters you have selected. Useful for seeing how long your strings are getting. But apart from that I hate it. :P

Crimson Editor doesn't sound too bad. I used ConTEXT briefly in a Java programming class, and it was okay for that. No idea what it's like for AvernumScript, but whatever floats your boat.

By the way... I'm currently writing a dedicated AvernumScript editor in Python. Fully cross-platform and with all the AvernumScript-specific features you could want! ... except it's not done yet, but it will be! :P

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 16:26: Message edited by: Crunchy Frog ]

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Crunchy Frog:

quote:

I am GremlinChief but I am not Overwhelming, nor do I want to be. :P

And the link for ConText gets me a busy page, I think. I'll try back later.

Edit: Actually, the domain in itself has changed. It's now http://www.context.cx/

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 17:49: Message edited by: RC ]

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #33
It's all about Vim.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by RC:

]I am GremlinChief but I am not Overwhelming, nor do I want to be. :P
Whoops. :P I copied and pasted the quote tags from Overwhelming's quote, but forgot to change the name. Sorry 'bout that. :D

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz

Pages