Win32 MSVC project files?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Win32 MSVC project files?
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #0
If anyone successfully builds the Win32 version of the editor would they be kind enough to post the MSVC <preferably version 6) project files. If we cannot post them in this forum would you consider e-mailing them privately?

Thanks,

mrb
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #1
The editor was made using Metrowerks Codewarrior and as a result will likely be more likely to compile correctly on it than anything else.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
It's just ordinary, run-o-the-mill, happy C++ code, and should run, with minimal tweaking, on any compiler suited to handle that. For example, it should only take a little poking to get it running on MS Visual C++ (which I have used in addition to CodeWarrior, with no problems).

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #3
Really? Meh, the readme file exaggerated a little then. :P

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #4
Dear Jeff,

Since you have already compiled it with MSVC <version?>, would you be kind enough to make the project files available?

Using MSVC++ version 6 I have encountered numerous <>1000> errors, however they were all in just 2 source files, globals.h and library.cpp. The strange thing is that the errors in global.h are not at all obvious, code looks fine! The first occurrence is in the class definition for graphic_type, but then the very next one <floor_type> works fine?

Thanks,

mrb
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #5
i recently tried porting to VC++, but got the same amount of errors. The reason for this (I think) is that VC++ does not recognize code (such as class declarations, function declarations etc.) that is not written in a COM friendly manner(unless created from scrath), which completely screws with the organization of Jeff's code. After a couple long hours, i found it easier to just start over using his code as a reference.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
I did Geneforge 2 on Visual C++ 5.0 (not 6.0). That game used exactly the same code base as the Blades editor, and it handled my pretty straight-forward C++ code just fine.

Dunno about VC6, though I must stress that all the code I write is in C++. If your compiler is not built to handle C++, you may find it counter-productive to try to compile C++ using it.

I'm finding myself glad I'm not in a position where Microsoft is proclaiming to me what C should be. :)

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #7
I've had a good deal of success compiling in G++. There were a few dozen minor adjustments to make, but right now I think the only thing stopping me is compiling the resource file.. the compiler for which does not generate especially helpful errors.

Actually that's a lie, I finally managed to get the resource stuff compiled in a backwards sort of way, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

It seems there are some sound and graphics references that need defining.

Further update:

Well I handled the sound by removing it entirely. As far as I can tell the functions used are specific to codewarrior, but maybe msvc has an equivalent.. shrug.

Anyone have any idea what anim_ticks are?

[ Monday, June 21, 2004 17:42: Message edited by: Qalnor ]
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #8
The sound calls are straight Windows API (heck, that code is from Windows 3.1), but I forgot to put the .wav files in the editor. If you download the current version of the Windows editor, you will find the sound files in the source code folder.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #9
No.. it's not the wav files. Let me look at something. It was a call to sndplay in sound.c that was causing the trouble.

It may exist in msvc, but when I looked it up on the web it was in regards to metrowerks which iirc is codewarrior, so I assumed it was specific to that and just eliminated it. shrug..

Sound's not that important to me in any regard, I'm still stuck on the anim_ticks..

Edit:

I managed to compile it at long last!

I kind of cheated though with the anim_ticks and I probably will regret it if it ever catches up with me. I just defined anim_ticks instead of trying to bring it in from an external source, but I assume it's some sort of system timer used for some graphical purpose.

No problems yet though. If anyone is interested I'll put up a copy of the modified source that compiles nicely under cygwin-g++ with the understanding that A) sound is presently disabled and B) anim_ticks aren't presently in the mood for doing much ticking.

[ Monday, June 21, 2004 18:13: Message edited by: Qalnor ]
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #10
Jeff,

I should have been clearer, I use MSVC++ version 6, which handles C++ code just fine.

I could certainly use the MSVC++ 5 project files, if you would be kind enough to send them.

Best regards,

mrb

PS I am still looking at the 'offending' code, although it still looks fine to me; I suspect CR/LF problems may be the gremlin - I'll run the source file through my text processor and see if that does it.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #11
I believe you have to link libmm.lib or similar to get the sound functions and thereby compile correctly.

And, of course, ensure the sound files exist.

Apart from that, and hundreds and hundreds of warnings about unused variables which I removed, I had no problems compiling on Metrowerks.

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 12:46: Message edited by: Grey-Eyed Stranger ]

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #12
"I could certainly use the MSVC++ 5 project files, if you would be kind enough to send them."

I'm afraid that this goes beyond the level of support I'm going to give for the source code. But good luck!

"I believe you have to link libmm.lib or similar to get the sound functions and thereby compile correctly."

That's probably it. The old multimedia stuff (like sound) requires a bonus library.

"Apart from that, and hundreds and hundreds of warnings about unused variables which I removed, I had no problems compiling on Metrowerks."

You can turn the extraneous warnings off in the project settings. I have a great fondness for CodeWarrior, but it is not perfect.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin