Map editing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Map editing
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #0
I find the Editor to be very poor for editing maps, especially with only 2 levels of zoom, lacking a proper scroll etc. I am not impressed by the interface nor is it sufficient for the developer to state that the code is old - after all, if BoA is to have numerous scenarios it needs good tools, and isn't that the developers job?

Is there an alternative way to create maps, assuming that a utility could be made available to parse and compile and write the binary file needed for the game <*.bas>? It would be easier to work with yet another text file, giving tile coordinates and using a script to place other game elements at the various coords.

I really think much better tools are needed!

Regards,

mrb
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
The source code is available. You are free to implement this if you find a way.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #2
Not really. Unless the source code is made available under an OpenSource <GPL etc> type licence I wouldn't want to spend the time working on it. Also, this is still a shareware product <meaning the developer hopes to be compensated for all his time and efforts in developing it> and I do support that concept. I still feel that better tools are the responsibility of the developer, not the user - the exception being the case of OpenSource licenced software, where I am happy to contribute.

To make this clearer, suppose I implement some nice but radical changes to the editor - in addition to the interface, also including the way files are compiled and saved. The result would be chaos, since I am not the developer and I also would not be able to support those changes in the future.

Regards,

mrb
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
The profits come from the game itself, not the editor. The editor is technically free.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
"Unless the source code is made available under an OpenSource <GPL etc> type licence I wouldn't want to spend the time working on it."

Did you actually read the license that the editor is offered under? I think you will find it interesting.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com