Avernum and Avernum 2 on Vista

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum and Avernum 2 on Vista
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
I have had reports of Avernum and Avernum 2 crashing on Vista during party creation. If you have this problem, could you contact me at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com? If there is a crash, there's a free game in it for someone who can help me troubleshoot the problem.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #1
I just tried creating new parties in Avernum and Avernum 2.

The problems don't seem to occur while actually creating the party but in the storytelling part that follows. Give it about 10 seconds and Vista turns the screen white (which symbolizes that the program is not responding.) and stays there.

I've managed to create some dump files using Task Manager. I'm not sure if they'll be any help. (The reason I want to check if they'll be useful first is because they're 70mb each, but both compressed are 35mb.)

I am running Vista Ultimate Build 6000 and am running the ATi Catalyst 7.1 display drivers.

[ Friday, February 02, 2007 13:36: Message edited by: Universe_JDJ ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
My Vista machine has the same problem. However, I found that both games run fine in WINXPSP2 compatability mode.

To turn on compatability mode, go to the Control Panel, click Programs, Select "Use an older programme with this version of windows" (which is under Programs and Features). Then in the wizard, pick Avernum from a list of programs and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Don't select any other options, keep clicking Next and finally click Finish. Repeat for Avernum 2. The initial splash screen doesn't align properly, but the games now run fine including creating new parties.

I have e-mailed the above info to Jeff.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #3
Yep. Confirming that it works in Windows XP (SP2) compatibility mode. I didn't however notice any splash screen alignment problems.

Note: You don't need to go through the control panel to set compatibility options.

Just right click on the shortcut or exectuable --> Properties --> Compatability --> Tick the "Run this program in compatability for:" box and then select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the box.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
I'm not certain, but I think the right click procedure only sets compatability for a particular shortcut? Whereas control panel sets compatability universally. Then again I could be talking complete rubbish, in which case ignore me.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4