Avernum Seasons

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum Seasons
Apprentice
Member # 6361
Profile #0
does anyone have a list of those seasons? you know like snow fal l and that kind of thing. Thanks!

--------------------
You must be willing to protect yourself, and what you cherish, no matter what the cost...
-Murtagh
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...
-Anonymous

Giants like Karkus- overload 'em with informationan' they'll kill yeh jus' to simplify things.
-Rubius Hagrid
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
They're not seasons. They're months, and there are eight of them. I can't remember which is the first in the year, but they go in this order:

Remembrance
Suncome
Radiane
Empire
Leafloss
Icefall
Frost
Evermoon

—Alorael, who doesn't know the holidays. Fortunately, he's sure someone else does. Try Google!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
One could infer seasons:

Spring: Evermoon and Rememberance
Summer: Suncome and Radiane
Autumn: Empire and Leafloss
Winter: Icefall and Frost

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6361
Profile #3
cool. thanks. Also, I understand Laafloss, Suncome, frost, Icefall, and Evermoon, but what do Radiane, Empire, and Rememberance have to do with the weather?

--------------------
You must be willing to protect yourself, and what you cherish, no matter what the cost...
-Murtagh
-Anonymous

Giants like Karkus- overload 'em with informationan' they'll kill yeh jus' to simplify things.
-Rubius Hagrid
Apprentice
Member # 6361
Profile #4
o sorry for that lsat post: i didn't see what i* wrote

--------------------
-Murtagh
-Anonymous

-Rubius Hagrid
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Well, "radiance" means "the state of being glowing or shiny". So presumably Radiane is a month where there's a lot of sunshine. Which makes sense, since it's in summer and all.

Besides, why does every month's name have to have something to do with the weather? Our months don't.

[ Sunday, December 04, 2005 14:23: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
That and no one has worked out the celestial orbits of Ermarian.

One can assume an axial tilt roughly equal to our own because of the seasons. What puzzles me is Evermoon implying very long nights, but it lies at the end of winter. This Implies their winter solstice is near the end of the winter, which I am not sure is entirely possible.

Empire and Rememberance could imply historical events. The Empire was probably founded in the month of Empire (Empire 1st in likelihood) and Rememberance was probably the end of some great war.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6523
Profile #7
Rememberance is the month in which Avernum was founded. I believe that the "Day of Rememberance" holiday entry in the Documentation has something to that degree in it.

--------------------
^ ^ Izzannor lives again!
Say hello to my little friend!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
But why would the founding of Avernum be in calendar used on the surface?

[Edt: Lef a leter ou.]

—Alorael, who can't think of any reference to the seasons on the surface in A3. All of the weather names imply seasons that aren't found in caves, however, and Empire is an unlikely month in the nation of Empire-haters.

[ Monday, December 05, 2005 08:41: Message edited by: An Alorael has occurred. ]
Apprentice
Member # 6523
Profile #9
I meant in A1 and A2. But it is kind of funny that Rememberance 1st is the date given for the founding of Avernum, IMHO.

--------------------
^ ^ Izzannor lives again!
Say hello to my little friend!
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #10
Don´t forget that the games are still called Avernum and not Empire! The game is made for people who came from Avernum and will never forget it!

Maybe the month Empire is still in the Avernum calendar, because they can´t forget what the Empire did to them (exception: gave them freedom)!

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I meant to imply that Remembrance can't be in remembrance of the founding of Avernum because the calendar is clearly from the surface. Empire might still appear in Avernum's calendar, but months like Evermoon, Icefall, Leafloss, and Suncome all refer to celestial bodies and seasonal phenomena that have no meaning in the caves. The months must be from the surface too, so unless Remembrance was the only one renamed, Remembrance is used on the surface as well.

—Alorael, who is suffering from egregious spelling mistakes.