I hope my opinion is shared.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I hope my opinion is shared.
Apprentice
Member # 6457
Profile #0
I, personally, would very much like to see Avernum 4 out in the Avernum 3 style. This would include the classic solid frames instead of framerates. For example, when you move a character in Avernum 4 you see them make the movements to walk to that spot, as in Avernum 3 he blinks there. It may be a unique taste but one of the whole reasons I started Avernum is because of the pixelated gameplay.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at November 06, 2005 06:58 PM board time.
Voting stopped at November 26, 2005 05:00 PM board time.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=BjxHuNMvVqpA"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=BjxHuNMvVqpA"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You've got your wish. A4 doesn't use Geneforge's animated movement. In A3 you don't "blink" anywhere. You have to travel through the intervening spaces, and even holding down a direction key and waiting takes time. Avernum 4 works exactly the same way, except you can click instead of pressing a button if you'd like.

—Alorael, who likes actually passing through space anyway. You'd be surprised how often you can notice something only on the umpteenth time you travel through an area.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #2
I'm not sure I follow what you guys are saying. Unless I'm mistaken, Spiderweb games have three movement types:
1. When destination is selected, character moves there without any animation. (Exile Series)

2. When destination is selected, character moves one space at a time in eight directions. (Avernum Series)

3. When destination is selected, character moves there in a fluid manner. (Geneforge Series)

Do correct me if I am wrong, for it has been some time since I have played either Avernum or Exile. Fromm what I understand it seems that Yawgmoth01 wants the movement one space at a time. Tuber vs. Tot's comments seem to indicate that A4 will have the Geneforge-like movement. This is what I gathered. Personally, I'd like to go back to Exile animations, or lack thereof. Things could be done a lot quicker and you could focus more on tactics, rather than watching your fluidly animated guy stabbing somebody again and again.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Movement, from what I've gathered, is an unholy hybrid of Geneforge and Exile/Avernum. You click on a location and it automatically finds a path and moves you there along the path, but there's no walking animation to go with it, and movement is turn-based instead of real-time.

[ Monday, November 14, 2005 19:15: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Exile and Avernums 1-3 have the same movement system. You click in a direction or press a button and your party moves in that direction. There's no animation, but there is a delay. It might just be processing time, but I think there's a programmed delay so that it takes a second or so to go across the screen.

In Geneforge, you click somewhere and your character moves there with animated steps.

A4 does not have animated movement. If you'd like, you can use the arrow keys or numeric keypad to move around and it works just like Avernum. There are no animations. (There are animations for attacking, but they're quick and you need some time to read damage numbers anyway).

The addition is that in A4 you can also click somewhere. There's no animation. It's just as though you pressed buttons to move north, north, northwest, north, northwest, west, west, southwest, west, northwest, except instead of 10 buttons you use one click.There is a very brief delay between "steps," but it's generally faster than moving by pressing the buttons.

—Alorael, who is quite sure that this is what everyone pining for the Avernum movement system wanted, himself included. On the other hand, those who prefer Geneforge mouse movement can have that too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #5
Nifty. That sounds like a very nice blend of the two movement systems.

I prefer the classic Avernum system of movement, but always rather liked being able to click a destination and having the person move there without me baby-stepping him. I look forward to using it when Avernum 4 comes out.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
There is a small exception, though: when you use the keyboard to move in A4, the screen only re-centers every now and then, which looks horribly awkward to me. I would never consider using anything but the keyboard to move in A1-3, but I can't bring myself to use the keyboard more than sporadically for movement in A4.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
I have to agree with you there, Kel. Keyboard movement got powerfully awkward when auto-centering died. That, and it's annoying to accidentally skip text boxes when you're holding down a keyboard movement (particularly when moving south and pressing 1).

But I refuse to give up on it... I just have to wave the mouse around to shift the view and make sure I don't walk into something painful.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

There is a small exception, though: when you use the keyboard to move in A4, the screen only re-centers every now and then, which looks horribly awkward to me.
Keeping in mind, of course, that you're playing a beta version and Jeff may fix that if you whine enough about it before the final release... :P

[ Monday, November 14, 2005 22:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!