Closing doors

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Closing doors
Apprentice
Member # 6307
Profile #0
Hey all. I have been playing the Exile games for some time now, and had only recentely bought the Avernum games. I noticed one thing, that you can double-rightclick the doors, to close them again. Does this have any use for theft and such? n Exile, you couldn't reclose doors, and theft just had to be far enough away from someone. It seems like if you steal something in a room with a closed door, your chances of being caught would be less, but does this happen? Or is closing doors just to make everything seem more realistic?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
You have to be seen in order to be caught. If there's no one in the room with you and the door is closed, you can steal at will. Watch out for specials and guardians, though — save first.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Yes, and closing doors can also make the room full of enemies behind said door completely forget about you. It's amazing, really.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I thought in A1 and A2 at least — and possibly A3 but I don't think I ever tried it — the hostile monsters were able to open doors if they had seen you and if you were within a reasonable distance from them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Usually they won't notice, but yes, occasionally they will remember how to use the doorknob. I find it most effective to close the door, haste everyone, and run like mad.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
If they see you, they'll go through doors to get to you. Opening a door isn't an action, though, so if you open one and see a bunch of enemies, immediately closing the door often means they'll still just stand around and wait for you to cast Beast Ceremony and use the combat-wait-attack trick.

—Alorael, who believes doors were closable in Exile as well as Avernum. If you look at a door adjacent to a party member (the active one in Exile), the door opens or closes. E1 didn't have openable or closable doors.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
In Exile, you can 'Use' doors to close them.

Monsters can open unlocked doors to come get you if they've seen you beforehand.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
I swear in BoE a monster came through an imprenetrable door to get me. I don't remember how or why, but I distinctly remember the door opening.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I swear in BoE a monster came through an imprenetrable door to get me. I don't remember how or why, but I distinctly remember the door opening.
It was probably a door with a Can't Enter node placed on it, not a real impenetrable door. Monsters can't open locked doors.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!