Points into Melee

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Points into Melee
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #0
i mean points in melee or Pole weapons, isnt it a bit of a waste going past a certain level, what is the optimium number of skill points in it. Also i was wondering is blademater skill or gymnastics any good....
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You know, it'd really help if you mentioned which Avernum game you're talking about, since the engine of Avernum 3 is completely different from the others.

In the first two Avernums, every point you put in weapon skill increases your damage by a little, so there isn't really a specific point at which it's no longer useful.

In Avernum 3, it's reasonable to pump points into your weapon skill until you're consistently hitting the damage cap against most monsters.

A point in Blademaster is basically equivalent to a point of Melee Weapons plus a point of Pole Weapons. A point in Gymnastics, as far as I can tell, is pretty much equivalent to a point in Dexterity except that it doesn't increase damage with missile weapons.

[ Saturday, August 20, 2005 21:45: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I think Gymnastics advances you in the turn order more than a single point of Dexterity, though. Unlike Dexterity, it can also make you completely impossible to hit in A1. I'm not sure about A2 or A3.

—Alorael, who likes buying points of Gymnastics. They tend to be expensive, but not unreasonable, and they work wonders when you want your mages and priests to stop going after the gelatinous globs of ooze in combat.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Similar to what Alorael said (but not identical): Gymnastics is worth getting up to around 9 or 10 in A1 and A2 on all your characters, especially since you can get 5 points of it without using any skill points. I'm less sure about its value in A3.

[ Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I'd agree on fighters, but I'm less convinced that Gymnastics is that useful for casters. It's not cheap to train that high, and I take the view that you're better off raising spell-related skills and depending on buffs, healing, and not having your casters end up next to angry goons.

—Alorael, whose caster design of choice is very skill hungry. A pure mage or priest probably has more points to burn on Gymnastics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #5
thanks.... btw i was talking about Avernum 1.
i ws just confused because in the description of Melee/pole weapons it only talked about chance to hit, and didnt mention damage, and i was getting 95% chance of hitting anyway so i thourght **** it
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Heck, I played a duo in A2 consisting of a plain fighter and a mage/priest who I eventually trained in fighting. My mage/priest was killing dervishes by the end of the game.

I like getting Gymnastics for casters because it only takes a few points (buy up to 5, train up to about 9) and it means that you can send your spellcasters into combat to clean up summons and garbage like that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00