Avernum 2 - question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 2 - question
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #0
Where is a good spot to get experience early on-ish. I've just started Chapter 4 and I keep getting my butt whooped by monsters and im low on cash.

Any good spots/tips?

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Don't pick fights with the Empire right away. If there are still quests left undone near Formello and Fort Draco, like clearing out the undead in the ruined fort that used to belong to the nephilim, do them. Then look for more minor quests in other cities. Mertis has a nice cave of undead to hack through. As long as you don't run headfirst into Empire forts, you should be able to find appropriately difficult areas.

—Alorael, who can't remember exactly what he did last time he came out of the vahnatai lands. He'll add that there are several quests to do among the vahnatai that you can and should do before or just after returning to Avernum proper.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #2
Thanks

One more thing about the undead camp near Formello, how do I finish it off? I read something about some ability needed to destroy the altar, but I have no idea about it. I've cleaned the place out except for the nasty Baskilisk and Demon in those 2 rooms.

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
You can get the Ritual of Sanctification in the northwest corner of Formello, outside the city walls. That will take care of the altar.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5549
Profile #4
Try going to the hidden Empire fort southwest of Almaria, in the lava zone. There are some Empire fights you will suddenly pick, but you should save often so you can be correctly prepared (casting Beast Ceremony)

And when you feel powerful, pick a boat and go to Fort Dolt-har northwest of Fort Emerald (used to be Sss-thsss slith fort in A1) and kill some troops there. Then when you grow some levels up, rampage in Dolthar and kill Limoncelli. Just avoid the guards and run towards Limoncelli. He's not so tough, neither his guards are, so you would easily wipe them off at that moment. When you kill Limoncelli, it's a hilarious moment (no spoiler, just see it by yourself)

After you kill Limoncelli, you can fight the guards outside Dolt-har and you can kill them.

That would give you 5-8 levels approximately.
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #5
I tend to do Kelnar's (sp?) quest to clear out the sliths east of the tower of magi first. The reward to that is nice too. You can sell all the weapons etc to Bernard in ToM so you don't have to carry the stuff too far.

Then I go and free the nephilim from the napharim (top righthand corner of the map with fort duvno on). If I remember right they seemed to drop a reasonable amount of treasure.

--------------------
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Remember that you can enter a town or dungeon, kill a few monsters, leave, rest, and return. That's very helpful when you're low level and trying to clear some of the tougher areas.

—Alorael, who used that on sliths frequently. You'll find that you end up with too much loot to carry in one trip anyway, so you might as well go take what you have, change it into weightless cash, and refill your health and energy while doing so.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks for all the tips, they have been very helpful!

I've gotten up some levels and got better gear and take stuff easier, Eye Beasts are still a bear, though.

Divine Fire HURTS.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #8
Finding items which boost your fire resistance is always good. There are four dragonskin cloaks in the game. I think one is in the slith dungeon by ToM but you will have to look up the others in an FAQ.

Chill charms can also help - buy from the nephils just north of mertis after healing the other village.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #9
Quest question:

For the 'free the nephilim' quest available in Silvar, how do I free them? I cleared that place out before getting the quest and I dont know how to get the silver padlock off.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #10
Look around for secret rooms in the napharim lair. Lots of walking into walls may be required! I think it is along the top of the screen.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #11
Hmm, i'll try it out.

I found 1 secret room, but it was just valuable objects and no key.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #12
There are two secret rooms. One with treasure that you have found and another one with a desk. Search the desk to find the key.

--------------------