Is it just me?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Is it just me?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #0
We were talking in class the other day about the story of Orpheus. My teacher gave a broad explanation of Hades, and the Greeks' idea of death. If memory serves, he mentioned that the cave leading to the underworld was called "Avernus." I think this has some connection to Avernum. "Brilliant, Eintein!" I know that is what most of you are thinking. I just wondered if everyone else knew this, or if everyone didn't.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #1
I'm fairly sure that Jeff Vogel mentioned somewhere that he got the name Avernum from the mythical Avernus (Avernus was taken by a rock band or something). Probably in one of those interviews he did.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Doesn't A1's manual mention it?

EDIT: From the BoA manual, Chapter 2, "The World of Avernum":

"According to mythology, Avernum is a gateway, the portal leading to the underworld". I think A1 gave a more detailed explanation.

[ Sunday, January 16, 2005 18:09: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Wikipedia on Hades mentions, "In Roman mythology, an entrance to the underworld located at Avernus, a crater near Cumae, was the route Aeneas used to descend to the Underworld. By synecdoche, 'Avernus' could be substituted for the underworld as a whole." In fact, Avernus is so significant that it gets an entire page devoted to it.

That's pretty neato. I didn't know that. I thought Jeff just made up the bit about it being a name for the underworld.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
There's also Lake Avernus or Averno, which proves that the gateway to the underworld can also be a nice tourist trap.

—Alorael, who preferred the name Exile to Avernum. A real-world allusion in a place name doesn't quite make sense, and the lack of non-descriptive name parallelism in Exile and Empire was nicer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00