A Dialogue

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A Dialogue
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #0
Josip Tito: I broke Kel's HLPM. :P
Ioseb J---: Oh?
Josip Tito: Yes. I discovered a fairly crippling bug.
Josip Tito: It arises out of the fact that BoA's engine treats spells and recipies as items in shops.
Ioseb J---: Ah.
Josip Tito: It means, for instance, that if you go through the Level Builder twice, the shops have twice the number of levels of spells.
Ioseb J---: Weird.
Josip Tito: So if previously you could only get the spell at level 2, you could now get it at level 4.
Josip Tito: It happens because BoA's advertised features fall short.
Ioseb J---: Ah.
Ioseb J---: Just get Jeff to fix it.
Josip Tito: Pff. :P
Ioseb J---: I'm sure he'd do it if you asked him.
Ioseb J---: Make a post about it.
Josip Tito: Yes, but we'd have to wait a few months until the next update.
Ioseb J---: Explain what happens and what should happen, and I'm sure he'll attend to it promptly and release a patch.
Ioseb J---: He's a responsible businessman, and I'm sure he'll listen to his customers.
Ioseb J---: I mean, I've heard all this stuff about how he's turned over a new leaf with BoA, and he's decided to start listening to the people who paid a hefty price for his software.
Ioseb J---: Are you telling me that all this optimism and trust in a man who's shown repeatedly that he neither understands nor cares about his customers was misplaced?
Josip Tito: Well, when you put it like that, I suppose I should just leave it in his hands to fix the editor.
Josip Tito: I mean, how long am I realistically going to have to wait?
Ioseb J---: It couldn't possibly be something like six years. Or forever.
Josip Tito: (and I don't want to hear any jokes about BoG - because we all know that Jeff's not the kind of guy to bleed a franchise dry)
Josip Tito: No, I'm sure he won't announce lockdown on this product in the next, oh, two months.
Ioseb J---: Because every good developer knows work on a major product is never done, and feature enhancements and bug fixes are the way to gain repeat customers.
Josip Tito: Oh, you don't have to tell that to the likes of Jeff. I mean, just look at his track record.
Josip Tito: Granted, he might have been a little slack on BoE, but I think we were all a little hard on him about that.
Ioseb J---: I know! Crippling bugs and missing advertised features are no reason to force his dozens, perhaps hundreds of customers to download a couple megabytes in bug fixes. And imagine the compatibility issues if someone actually tried to use a feature that was claimed to work?
Josip Tito: Yeah. They are all very good reasons for putting idiotic players who are too dense to look on the web for updates above hard working designers.
Ioseb J---: Definitely. I mean, what do those designers think they are? Paying customers who provide hours of superior play value for free, thus making purchases of Jeff's game worthwhile? Do they really think that they contribute to, nay, are the primary reason for Jeff Vogel's sales of Blades?
Josip Tito: After all, the prime base of Vogel's sale is eight year old kids - and what do they want with complicated (not to mention interesting) plot lines. Za Khazi Run is good enough for them!
Ioseb J---: Exactly! There's no way any designers, no matter how highly educated, intelligent, creative, and devoted they are, could ever make a scenario as good as Bandit Busywork!
Josip Tito: Bandits Busywork gave the player exactly what they wanted - plain, simple, easy fun without having to do any laborious thinking.
Ioseb J---: Because people don't like tactics, or plot, or good town design! They just want to go hack up some baddies and score some "phat lewts!"
Josip Tito: I know I'd much rather play BoE than any other commercial RPG for the sole reason that I am in much need of said phat lewts.
Ioseb J---: God bless Jeff Vogel and his wondrous skill at crafting games! Hail him for his amazing and cunning business model of advertising the moon and selling hunks of green cheese! I am in awe at his ability to scam pre-teens and their parents out of their hard-earned money for constant retreads of the same material!
Josip Tito: I mean, what is the point of a capitalist state if not to try and steal money off kids?

[ Wednesday, August 11, 2004 10:50: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #1
(I am going to Spam. I don't care)

Andrea: Thank you. Thank you very much.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Uh, this might be better done condensed, indented, and sent to Jeff.

But do tell, what is the main error with the spells now?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
The bug it refers to is this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #4
*sniff* Djur, that was beautiful.

On a side note, I totally agree with you. I wish Jeff saw this thread.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #5
..Jeff seeing it wouldn't do us much good, though. He'd either just go cry off, or call us all morons, and keep stating that killing goblins is all we ever have wished from a game.

The same as always.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Shhh. He hasn't abandoned BoA yet. Stop needling.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
He needs a BIG jumpstart. From my calculations, if he implements every little thing we've asked for thus far next week, and releases a patch at least as good as 1.01 every month, he will have paid off his debt to the BoE and (growing) BoA community just before he *says* he will make an Avernum 4.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.