Technical save-file question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Technical save-file question
Apprentice
Member # 4642
Profile Homepage #0
I have something of a technical question:
What are the differences between Windows and Mac save files?

I want to port over some save files from a Mac to a Windows machine, and BoE says that the files are invalid. This is probably some very simple high-endian/low-endian difference, but I have no idea which bytes to flip. (Especially if my party is in a scenario!)

Anyone around who knows a solution to this? (or perhaps even knows what I'm talking about)

Hopefully I'd be able to build a file converter if I could figure this out.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but I figure it's worth a first shot here. Thank you! :]

--------------------
Don't worry, the worst is yet to come!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #1
The Blades of Avernum Editor source code (on Mac) has a "flip_short" (2 byte) function that it seems to use for all its porting scenarios from Windows to Mac. While this is not exactly what you want, I hope it helps.

Also, BoA scripts use shorts. However, all 9000 stuff done flags are single bytes. Both of these are definitely stored in the savefile.

[ Thursday, July 01, 2004 00:41: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Apprentice
Member # 4642
Profile Homepage #2
That's precisely what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure where the bytes are to flip...

Guess I'll just have to do a little bit of hacking and make some comparisons between the two types of files.

I recall in the old days using a hex editor to beef up my Exile I singleton... Aah, those were the days! :]

--------------------
Don't worry, the worst is yet to come!