Dip with the dead

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dip with the dead
Apprentice
Member # 4437
Profile #0
Ok i went down to the vampires fort before i talked to the queen killed him twice and now i can't get past a door leading to his lower fort. i look in the editor and now i know it needs a key .... so can any body tell me where the dam key is .... oh yeah its the door in the room with all the statues.
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #1
You have to kill him once more before you are able to visit the next level. You don't find him in a particuarly interesting spot, it's someplace you might have walked past already, on the right side of the map, I think.. kind of wandering in a hallway.

After you kill him again, he leaves a key.
Apprentice
Member # 4437
Profile #2
Thank you
I did sopt him there in the editor and i even walk past that part so i thought he dissapred when i killed him earlyer. ok I will have to look hard this time....thank you agian

Modvark

--------------------
"Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects."
-- Roger Zelazny (1937-95),
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #3
Sure thing.. if you can't find him after extensive searching, then there may be a problem with the script.. maybe if you left the castle and came back he wouldn't be there, I'm not sure, I don't have a savegame near there to test.

Worst case scenario, add it as a special item. The second encounter with him is (in my opinion) the hardest fight in any of the four scenarios, if you can beat that, believe me when I say, you can beat him the third time.

Best to try and find him though, you'll miss out on a few dialogue options, but nothing that isn't actually repeated later.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
By hasting and blessing before the fight, you can beat pretty much any of Vahkohs's forms in one or two rounds. IMHO, the hardest encounter in the scenario is the Hill Goblin chief.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #5
I would say the hill goblin encounter was probably the hardest outdoor encounter, but it was really just a case of burning them all as fast as humanly possible.

I don't know what difficulty level with Vahkoss you're talking about (I play torment), or what level your character was.. or if you were using a vastly better strategy than I was, or if you use strategies that I don't generally allow myself to use, but the most damage I could do to him in 1 round was about 500 damage and that only scratched the surface. After that, he frequently.

I did the scenario a second time, with all my characters 30-35, and this time I didn't have to resort to similacrum this time, but it still took me several attempts to successfully beat him.

[ Saturday, May 29, 2004 14:23: Message edited by: Qalnor ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I was playing on Torment. My party started around level 33 and finished around level 39. My strategy wasn't particularly special: just haste and bless everyone, open the door to his room, run over and bludgeon him to death. Lots of Quick Action and Gymnastics helps you get to him fast enough, and Strength, Assassination and weapon skills help you deal with him once you're there. Provided he doesn't do anything too fatal in the first round, a party containing 3 good melee fighters should be able to finish him comfortably in the second.

[ Saturday, May 29, 2004 14:27: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #7
The trouble is he always does something too fatal the first round, he hits everyone with that spell and then dishes out several hits in quick succession.

My party model is a bit different though, I'll admit, and probably less well suited to that sort of affair. I use one primary warrior, an archer, and two spellcasters.

I suppose though if you were 39 or thereabouts at that point you were well ahead of where I stood, I don't think any of my characters are quite that high yet even after finishing the scenario twice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
I take a mix of character advantages and disadvantages to minimise experience needed to level; I also play very thoroughly. And usually all he did was cast Fireblast or Arcane Summon when I fought him, which was annoying but not lethal. When he did attack in melee, that usually did kill one of my characters, though.

Of course, if you can make Heroic Brew, you can just send out a lone fighter after drinking one of those and kill him in 2 rounds anyway.

[ Saturday, May 29, 2004 22:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #9
When I saw the topic "Dip with the Dead" I envisioned you going for a midnight swim in a lagoon with your zombie friends.

Hmmm... Lots of interesting possibilities there.
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #10
I agree that the hardest fight was the hill giant chief. It took me several hours before I finally killed him.

Vahkoss was easy. First time you fight him, you just bless your fighter a couple of times and bang him in the head.

Second time, you use heroic brew on one character and let him go in alone in the room.

I didn't fight him the third time, so I wouldn't know what to do.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #11
quote:
Originally by: Thuryl
And usually all he did was cast Fireblast or Arcane Summon when I fought him, which was annoying but not lethal. When he did attack in melee, that usually did kill one of my characters, though.
Uh I think you're misremembering the fight I'm referring to, the second fight I don't believe he ever casts any spells (or he does so very very rarely) except at the beginning of the round he always casts a spell that hits everyone near him.

quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
Second time, you use heroic brew on one character and let him go in alone in the room.

Yes, this works I'm sure. However this is one of those techniques I don't use. I refuse to use potions this way. Heroic brew and invuln in particular are, in my opinion, entirely unfair and in all of the basic scenarios and in all of the past avernum games there have been enough of these items to spoil every difficult fight.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Ah, you mean Vahkohs fight #2, with the ice crystal. I think for that one I managed to kill him in one round with a hasted party, before he could take any action. Again, ludicrous amounts of overpowered fighters help. Failing that, I dunno. Summoning might help.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Ah, you mean Vahkohs fight #2, with the ice crystal. I think for that one I managed to kill him in one round with a hasted party, before he could take any action. Again, ludicrous amounts of overpowered fighters help. Failing that, I dunno. Summoning might help.
Yeah, that one. Well with 3 fighters you probably can take him down quick enough, maybe I'll try a party like that someday.

But summoning yeah that's basically what I did my first time through. I made a simulacrum of him and healed it every other round and bladestormed him and he was dead soon enough.

My second time through was easier, but still challenging.