Slith Homeland

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Slith Homeland
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
I said that the archmagi arrived about 25-30 years after the first expedition, five years or so after Micah. They did not automatically help him, instead they worked on making the place hospitable and bottling Grah-Hoth.

-60 First Expedition
-50 First exilings
-40 Micah exiled
-35 Archmages exiled, Grah-Hoth bottled
-25 More cities formed as hawthorne begins mass exilings
-22 Micah gets the castle and becomes 'official' King

Soon after Slith attacks begin.

My 70-80 years were for before Exile III, which was 16 years after Exile I.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Well, then, we're not far off from each other. Good to know we basically agree now, although...

quote:
But seeing that the First Expedition was 70-80 years before Exile I
and

quote:
and then we're at Exile I, about 70 years later.
we clearly didn't before.

But if the First Expedition was about 70 years before E3, then it was about 54 years before E1, which means the "about fifty years" description is accurate, and I pretty much agree (within five years or so) with everything in your timeline. Well, except maybe when the hostilities between the sliths and humans started in earnest, but that's debatable anyway.

EDIT: So back the original question, now. Have I established well enough that sliths have been in Avernum since before humans? Because that's a pretty fundamental assumption to my scenario for BoA.

[ Monday, March 08, 2004 12:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

So back the original question, now. Have I established well enough that sliths have been in Avernum since before humans? Because that's a pretty fundamental assumption to my scenario for BoA.
Well there is always the argument for the enigmatic ancient crypt that vastly predates the First Visitation near the tunnels of Motrax that strongly suggests otherwise...

Okay, that was bad. Valid, but bad. Makes me wonder though... The Crypt was a unique addition to the Avernum series not found in Exile and that something human could be -that- old really throws everything off. I can't help but wonder in the very back of my mind if Jeff doesn't do that purposely. He lets conjecture build up about his world and the trivia therein, then changes everything in the next release and laughs at the confusion it causes.

Oh well, gotta get your kicks somehow.

---Your historical maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #28
The Ancient Crypt is, IMO, humanoid but not necessarily human.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
Gah, let me phrase that a little more carefully. I'm trying to assert that sliths have been in Avernum since well before the First Expedition, which was "about fifty" years before A1. What exactly the significance of the Ancient Crypt is, well, that's another topic (although one worthy of discussion, too). So is it fair to say that sliths have been in Avernum since before the First Expedition?

And, while we're at it, is it fair to say that demons were present in Avernum at the time of the First Expedition? I gather that Demonslayer was brought down by the members of the FE from how Linda in A1 lists it among the artifacts that they brought. (And now I'm trying to remember exactly when and how it was broken....)

What I'm trying to get a handle on is what the situation would have been that would have greeted the exiled sliths when they came through Lost Bahssikava. Motrax was in Avernum already. He's been there for centuries, according to his own story. Was Grah-Hoth there? Were other demons, even if he specifically wasn't?

And for that matter (and I could go look this up, and I probably will, but I wonder if anyone knows specifically where to look for this info), when did the vahnatai start their Resting?

EDIT: Oh, and Drakey? On the humanoid vs. human issue, the message says, "The frescoes on the walls are clearly of humans." The A1 heroes may not be archeologists or experts on the species of Avernum, but I think they could tell the difference between lizard men (as they describe in the Spiral Crypt, who turn out to be sliths), oddly-shaped, thin weird little things (like the skeletons in... I think it was the Crypt of Drath, ne corner, that clearly indicated vahnatai), cat-men (nephilim), or other distinctly non-human humanoids. These are frescoes, ie visual depictions. I could buy the argument that their judgment of its age is not necessarily correct, but not that their analysis of its contents is wrong.

[ Monday, March 08, 2004 15:21: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
It's possible that they're similar humanoids. Nothing says that the frescoes are completely realistic, so it would be easy enough to overlook minor differences as part of the style.

—Alorael, who also sees no reason that a few people could not have discovered Avernum earlier than the Empire at large and used it as a place of refuge. Unlikely, but before Avernum the Empire was big on capital punishment. If a group voluntarily banished themselves to the caves, set up a life there, and ultimately died out, they could have left intriguing ruins.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #31
Demons and Sliths were already in Avernum when the FE came down. Vahnatai started their resting several hundred years before Exile I - probably between 500 and 700 years.

Could you really tell the difference in a fresco between a human, a giant, and a troglodyte?

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
That's true... they could be giants in the fresco. But still, I think it's clear that Jeff at least wanted us to think that they were humans, and that's good enough for me. I guess that means that we have room to interpret on what exactly the significance of the Ancient Crypt is.

Bah, I was going to ask, and then I thought better of it. When the sliths came out of the tunnel from their homeland, they can't have found the vahnatai, or at least Rentar-Ihrno's vahnatai, because Elohi-Bok in Olgai in A2 says, "The caves now are very different from what they were when we began our last Resting. There are humans now, and nephilim and nepharim, and the sliths," which implies that the sliths weren't there before the Resting. So they would've found in Avernum... Motrax. Probably demons. Anything else?

[ Sunday, March 14, 2004 12:40: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #33
You have to remember that this is only one clan of Vahnatai - there are many more (and larger) clans in other areas. Still, I think that contact between Sliths and Vahnatai is small to nonexistant.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
Yes, Drakefyre, I am well aware that there are other clans of vahnatai.
quote:
they can't have found the vahnatai, or at least Rentar-Ihrno's vahnatai (emphasis added)
by which I meant our familiar clan.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
*Bump*ed, because let's face it. This is a wonderfully-exhaustive study of the slith.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Pages