Specific spell immunity

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Specific spell immunity
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
Is there a way to make a creature immune to a specific spell? For instance, I'm planning on creating a creature immune to Simulacrum (because I think that'd be easier than eliminating Simulacrum from my scenario), and I wasn't sure whether magic resistance would quite achieve this.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
The easiest way to do this is to set its species to special (12). Or, you could give it a default script that causes it to erase itself if it is friendly to the party.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #2
The second option would be weird, as you could still capture it, but it just wouldn't work to use it. It would seem like a 'bug' though I suppose people would figure it out soon enough.

Edit:
Oh, right, I've never used that spell so I kinda assumed it would be the same. Yuck.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 18:21: Message edited by: AxB ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
This is the BoA version of simulacrum, though, not the A1-3 version, so no soul is captured; the creature is just duplicated once on the spot.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Note that Simulacrums always use the default script of their creature type as defined in the data script, so if for some reason you don't want to give a creature the Special monster type, another way to disable Simulacrum is to give the creature type a null-monster script by default, but give every actual instance of the creature a custom script. When a player tries to cast Simulacrum on it, it'll inherit the default script from the scenario data script instead of the custom script, and they'll summon a living doorstop.

EDIT: Wait, Niemand already said that. I'm a fool. :(

EDIT 2: On closer inspection, my solution is actually subtly different from Niemand's. Niemand's is possibly simpler, but mine might be useful if (for some reason) you wanted a creature that can be charmed but not Simulacrumed.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 21:06: Message edited by: Structured Water ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #5
That's true, I didn't think about charming. I would guess, though, that if this creature is to be immune to simulacrum, it is probably pretty powerful, and might just resist charming on its own. Or, to combine my idea with Thuryl's, how about a script that erases itself if friendly to the party, but not if one of its memorycells is set a certain way? You just set that memorycell for the creature that you actually place, so that it will never erase itself, but if it gets simulacrummed, the duplicate will not have the cell set and will erase itself.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, the Special creature type solution is more of what I needed, though I might look into the idea of creatures which turn against you if Simulacrumed. Thank you for the help.

I suppose I should've looked at that in the docs, really.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #7
**shudders** wow...my "evil-meter" just jumped a few pegs. Think of that! Make a creature mildly hard, mostly annoying. Make it more attractive (don't know how you would though) to Simalcrum it as opposed to kill it right off (perhaps it has some nice spells that one would like to have cast at one's side for a few minutes while exploring the dungeon).

NOW! Script it so that, when it is Simalcrumed (w/e), it turns evil instantly--making it twice the annoyance and probably a lot harder; heck, even have it interact with the original (heh...quick, in battle conversation with itself...heheh...that would be creative ;) ) in a way that multiplies all abilities of each one by the number existing on the field.

hmm...more I think of this, the more this concept gets complex...damn I love Scripting Engines ^_^.

EDIT: Uhh...that reminds me. Can a monster have that spell? Simalcruming a PC would be interesting...but I wonder how it would work. I don't think monsters can cast it (thought I read it somewhere in the docs), but if it can--I am including that in my scenario :D .

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 13:30: Message edited by: SpineRaker ]

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #8
Monsters can't cast Simulacrum, Arcane Shield, or Repel Spirit. There are others too, but these are the ones that matter the most to combat.

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 14:21: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
Well, actually they can cast Arcane Shield (I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen). It just doesn't happen that often, because creatures with such high Mage Spells skill tend to waste it on Arcane Blow and Arcane Summon.

A simulacrum of a PC? That'd be very strange, particularly since they probably wouldn't get any of the weapons held by the PC. So really, only simulacruming a PC mage or priest would be helpful.

I don't see why monsters/NPCs shouldn't be able to cast Repel Spirit... I'd much rather have them unable to cast Arcane Summon. After all, who hasn't run into the fun problem of a vampire who Arcane Summons three vampires, who then Arcane Summon three more vampires...

--------------------

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
I'm pretty sure I've seen Erika cast Arcane Shield, and I think I've seen random priests use Repel Spirit.

And you can do all sorts of mean tricks with custom scripts. To make a monster copy a creature, you could just set a variable to the target's type and use a call to place the copy(ies).

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #11
In A2 and A3 (I haven't played A1, yet anyway), npcs can cast arcane shield, for instance. However in BoA, I really think that they can't.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
Okay, I checked and indeed, neither Erika nor any other kind of NPC can cast Repel Spirit, Arcane Shield, or Simalcrum. Phooey.

If you say otherwise, you're a damn liar. And goblins will bite you when you sleep.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
Hm... I wonder if there's a way to give back the ability to use Arcane Shield... that'd make for some more challenging monsters.

(Okay, I guess I remember monsters casting Arcane Shield from A2 or A3)

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Fake it with scripts. You can fake anything with scripts.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!