Endurance in Avernums

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Endurance in Avernums
Apprentice
Member # 3405
Profile #0
I noticed, while playing Avernum 3 the other day, that Endurance appears to have it's effect on HP when a PC levels, increasing the amount of HP gained upon leveling, rather than acting as a multiplier with level for bonus HP.

Is this function of Endurance consistant across all the Avernum games, including BoA? If so, it certainly encourages front-loading one's Endurance
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
I am not totally sure about what you are saying or asking. Having 8 endurance at level 10 will give you the same amount of health as would getting 8 endurance in the very beginning and progressing to level 10 without spending any more points in endurance. The amount of extra health you get per level of endurance increases at roughly 1 HP point every 2 levels, but remember that this affects all your endurance points.

Grrr... This post is a bit confusing.

Maybe a comparison would work better. Let's say you gain 1 health every level for every point of endurance you have, and the base health is 0. If you have 8 points of endurance at the start and level up to level 8, you will get 64 health in the end. But if you start with 1 endurance and keep adding a point per level until you are level 8, you'd end up with 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8=36 health.

But in the Avernum system you'd have the same amount regardless of of when you spend the points of endurance in the end.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 3405
Profile #2
Actually, your post was quite clear. Much more so than you found mine, apparently.

My experience in Avernum 3 was actually quite the opposite of what you describe. Adding more Endurance late in the game did not give me more HP, as I would expect it to if it worked as you describe. I'll double check, though.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Whenever you add a level of endurance, you gain (level/2) HP.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
That's what I've experienced in all the Avernum games. There is no advantage to gaining a skill earlier as opposed to later, since all the numbers are completely recalculated whenever any variable changes.

—Alorael, who likes that. Having to waste beginning skill points on strength for magic users in the Exile games was a bit irksome, especially since it reduced starting spell points because of lower casting skills.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00