Bug in HLPM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bug in HLPM
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
EDIT 2: Darnit, this should be in the BoA board, not the Editor board. Can someone move it, please?

Sigh. It appears that when the shop setup function is called twice, the shops get all screwed up. This means that if you go into the Shopping Area at any point, leave, change levels significantly, and then go back into the Shopping Area, the shops will have more items in them than they should. Thank you to Morgan for reporting this.

There doesn't seem to be a particularly good way to fix this with the calls that we have now. Since there is no short to check the number of items in a shop, and since there is no way to reduce the number of items in a shop, the only way to fix the shops would be to go back to the earliest form of the shop setup function, one from a pre-release version that increments as each level plateau is reached, which I would have to re-make from scratch, as I threw it out some time back. It also looks horrible: the items in the shops rearrange themselves every time new items are added, which throws the organization of the shops to hell.

It would be possible to fix this by resetting the shops at the beginning of the function if the add_item_to_shop call actually worked as advertised ("Note that, in all cases, you will want to put a number above 0 for how_many. If you don't, the item will disappear from the store," specifically -- meaning that add_item_to_shop(1,200,0) would make item 200 disappear from shop 1), but the call doesn't actually do this. The call doesn't make items disappear if they are already there; it just doesn't add any more.

Thus, there's not much I can do. This adds a certain urgency in my mind to the requests we made over in the BoA Editor Suggestions thread, specifically the improved functionality for the shops. I'm e-mailing Jeff to let him know about this, but I'm not sure what he's going to do or how soon it's going to happen.

At any rate, I will continue to release occasional updates to the HLPM, and if we actually get those new calls -- a way to reduce the number of items in shops would be really nice, or a way to zero the shops as the docs claim -- then I will fix this. But with the calls we have right now, there just isn't a good way to go about changing this, at least that I can think of.

For the time being, don't go into the Shopping Area, change levels, and then go back into the Shopping Area again. If you must, leave the scenario and come back into it in order to do this.

EDIT: For the record, this is the e-mail that I sent to Jeff:

Hey Jeff and co.,

I noticed that one call doesn't quite work the way that the docs say. About add_item_to_shop, the docs say: "Note that, in all cases, you will want to put a number above 0 for how_many. If you don't, the item will disappear from the store." That seems to indicate that add_item_to_shop(1,200,0) will make item 200 disappear from shop 1, for example. However, it doesn't do this. It just doesn't add the item to the shop. But if the item was already there, then the call won't do anything, rather than making the item disappear.

I bring this up because I have a bug in the HLPM right now (documented here: http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000445 ) that I can't seem to fix with the calls that are currently available. (It could in theory be fixed, but it would require a workaround so lengthy that I might run over the script size limit, which I'm already pushing, and it would make the shops ugly as all heck, too.) If add_item_to_shop worked the way that the docs say, I could fix this easily -- or better, if you added some of the calls that we requested in this thread: http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000423 .

Either way, making the call work as advertised or adding additional calls that make all of this easier, would be great. Just thought I'd let you know.

Looking forward to future updates!

-- Kelandon

[ Wednesday, August 11, 2004 10:59: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00