Your opinion

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Your opinion
Apprentice
Member # 3361
Profile #0
I was considering adding a character in my scenario who is interested in purchasing an item that a high-level party is likely to have (e.g. a Vahnatai waveblade). However, I do not plan to have any of these items in my scenario; it is only a bonus for parties who happen to have found one in a previous scenario.

What do you think about this? Is it misleading, or is it merely a nice way to get rid of some of the party's excess treasure? Would you be annoyed if this happened to you? I would like to know how people feel about this.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I always like to keep unique items. Sort of like a souvenir. In BoE, I kept one of the old School Textbooks (or whatever they were called) from VoDT, the axe Asp from Bandits, a firewalk scroll from RotS, and stuff like that.
I certainly wouldn't want to sell those. ;)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #2
I always have too little inventory space anyway (even with all four characters); probably due to my habit of refusing to drop anything I've looted unless I really have to. :D (And I loot quite a bit.) So I never keep items like that.

The idea sounds nifty if the party actually has that item, but rather pointless if they don't. I'd suggest offering above market rate for the item, too, otherwise there's not much point in selling it to that person rather than anyone else.

One thing you could try is to have a shop selling one copy of the item a fair distance away from the person who wants the item. Then clever players could buy the item there, then sell it to the guy at a markup. :)

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #3
You'd have to be careful, though. I don't know how BoA deals with item numbers between scenarios. There are two possibilities.
1) It's impossible to check for a kind of item that came from a different scenario.
2) It's possible, but risky. Suppose some other scenario changed item #380 to be a Frying Pan of Doom, for instance, instead of a Waveblade! It is unlikely, because there are plenty of other empty slots to create custom items in, but still a possibility. And waveblades aren't exactly a common item, so a scenario designer could easily choose it to be replaced if they needed more custom items.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
This would annoy me personally, but I can't think of any good objective reason why you shouldn't do it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
I believe the case is #1 in both BoE and BoA. Sorry, it Just Doesn't Work.
Apprentice
Member # 3361
Profile #6
Isaac, I have a question about your proposed problem of a designer changing a pre-set item. If the party had a waveblade equipped, would it immediately turn into a Frying Pan of Doom as soon as the party entered the scenario? Or would it happen if the party tried to drop their waveblade and then picked it up again?

If the answer to either of these is yes, it seems somewhat dangerous to mes with pre-set items.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
It works fine.

EDIT : har beat kelandon

[ Wednesday, July 28, 2004 16:57: Message edited by: Imban ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I am pretty sure the answer to both of those is no.

EDIT: As Imban said. Simultaneous post!

EDIT 2: Now that was unnecessary, imbna.

[ Wednesday, July 28, 2004 16:59: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00