source code question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: source code question
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #0
in the source code i've noticed that there are several limits, such as string length and number of boats/horses. when a scenario is loaded in Blades of Avernum, are all these limits implemented? thanks for any and all help.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I'm pretty sure string lenth is, because I've gotten errors on virtually every kind of string for having it be too long. These numbers are pretty well-documented in the editor docs, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #2
i mean when a scenario is loaded in BoA and not in the editor, although you're still probably right. in the comments vogel claims some of the code to be resused. if so the lengths may not be implemented in the game. it's important i know this about the token length in the script editor since , if i get it to compile on VC++, i'll put in an object oriented version of the scripitng engine. (which is pretty easy with MFC)
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #3
I would not change the editor in any way that would change how scenarios actually end up, only how easily they get there. Even if for whatever reason some change you make to the final product seems to work, there's no guarantee that it will always work in every possible way.. and even on the assumption that you could somehow know that it will always work, there is absolutely no way to know that a future patch to the game won't make it impossible.

And if that happened, any scenario made with your editor would suddenly require fixing.. and while this might be fine if you only use the tool yourself, if you distribute the modified editor to any extent, people are probably going to be miffed in your general direction.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I also meant when the scenario is loaded in BoA, not in the editor. The only string length problem I've had in the editor is the length of script names, which I'm pretty sure is a limit in the app, too.

I meant that when I playtest the scenario, the app gives me an error if strings are too long (like text bubble strings, dialog strings, etc). Since these are in the scripts themselves, the editor doesn't check for them at all (nor does it check for the number of boats or horses). The app is the only thing that will give an error related to them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Qalnor:

I would not change the editor in any way that would change how scenarios actually end up, only how easily they get there.
This is exactly what i plan to do, although so far i've had to completely remake the program. thankfully the provided source code isn't to hard to follow, and its very easy to see how the scenarios are saved. unfortunately recreating this process is the easy part, since i still have to figure out when and in what context the data is modified.

also, if anyone has any suggestions for features on a new editor please tell me.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Being able to edit the size and shape of the outdoors after the scenario is first created. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Being able to edit the size and shape of the outdoors after the scenario is first created.
if you mean changing the overall dimensions of the outdoors after the scenario is created, then that should be pretty easy. any other suggestions are welcome