Problem with init_quest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Problem with init_quest?
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #0
I've initialized a number of quests in the LOAD_SCEN_STATE of my scenerio text and set them in numerous town talk scripts. Everything seems to work fine when running the scripts in the game, but when I go to the game's info screen to check on a current quest, it's not listed.
It's there, but it's not there. When I click on the part of the window where the short description of the quest should be displayed, it registers it with a sound, but there's no text there.

Is anyone else having this problem, or could my file just be corrupt?

--------------------
Guyute was the ugly pig who walked on me and danced a jig that he had learned when he was six - then stopped and did some other tricks. Like pulling weapons from his coat and holding them against my throat. He lectured me in language strange - then scampered quickly out of range.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Well, if you posted your file, it would be a lot easier to diagnose.

I always put the init_quest() code in my START_SCEN_STATE, but it should not really matter. Try putting them there and restart the scenario and try initiating a quest that way.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #2
When the dialog ends, I'm told a quest has been added to my list, but it must be invisible or I'm just braindead (probably the latter). Here are the relevant parts of the scripts:

//***Excerpt from scenarioscript***

beginstate LOAD_SCEN_STATE;
init_quest(1,"Meet Angel in Burberry","Seamus told you to see Angel about decoding the writings in the book you possess.");
break;

//***Excerpt from talkscript***

begintalknode 37;
state = 8;
nextstate = -1;
question = "How can we find out more?";
text1 = "I know a man named Angel in Burberry who may be able to decipher the writings in your book. Tell him I sent you and he will be sure to help you out.";
code =
toggle_quest(1,1);
break;

EDIT - tried to put init_quest in start state and got same result after restarting game.

[ Monday, May 03, 2004 21:17: Message edited by: philstrek ]

--------------------
Guyute was the ugly pig who walked on me and danced a jig that he had learned when he was six - then stopped and did some other tricks. Like pulling weapons from his coat and holding them against my throat. He lectured me in language strange - then scampered quickly out of range.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #3
If there's anything wrong with your syntax, I'm too braindead to spot it. :) Looks like you're doing exactly what I do... and it works fine for me.

When you play (for example) one of Jeff's scenarios, are quests being added to your list?

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #4
I just ran Valley of Dying Things and got the Mayor's quest in Sweetgrove with no problem! I don't know what the $@%# is going on... oh well, more head scratching.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #5
I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but have you checked to make sure there's no set_state(), set_state_continue(), end() or anything like that between the start of the LOAD_SCEN_STATE and where you init the quest? That sort of thing can easily slip up on you if you forget you had a call like that and just append something before the break (which I often do ;) ). At any rate, the symptoms seem to be pointing to some kind of "gotcha" rather than a problem with the call.

Only other thing I can think... I notice you have this as quest "1". Do you already have a quest "0"? I wouldn't think that would matter, but then, I do start with 0 and it works for me. :)

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #6
I've checked the script over and over - there's nothing between load_scen_state and the init_quest call (and yes, I've got a quest 0 as well :) ). I've kind of shelved it for awhile and moved on to other things. If I figure out what the deal is, I'll post something in the future.

--------------------