Question about Magic Levels in BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question about Magic Levels in BoA
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I have noticed that in BoA, levels of spells learned go from 1-5 now. I also have noticed that some scenarios offer magic learned at even higher levels....which is confusing. The character editor only goes up to 5. What happens at even higher levels? Spell strength just keeps stepping up at some regular interval? How much difference is there between level 3 (which I am used to) and level 5? I was familiar with how useful level 3 of spells were in the trilogy. I'm not clear on the breakdown into five levels now.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
Yes, the spells just keep getting stronger. Those which hit multiple targets will hit more targets up to a maximum of 8. One thing to keep in mind is that spells don't undergo big changes as their level increases; for instance haste will never hasten more than one target, and arcane summon just summons more, more powerful creatures, unlike A2 where it switched totally what it summoned. A number of spells like war blessing and arcane shield add on new effects for several levels, but by 5 they just continue get more powerful at the same things. Unfortunately, I can't remember much about the actual level numbers at which the effects of different spells change. I would estimate that a level 5 spell in blades is probably equal to or a little better than a level 3 spell in the trilogy. One must keep in mind that it is possible for the party to become MUCH more powerful in blades than in the trilogy through normal means.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
The documentation provides a description of how most spells increase with skill level. For example, Bolt of Fire does damage equal to 2-8 * skill + B. So at level 1 it does 2-8 damage plus bonus, at level 2 it does 4-16 plus bonus, at level 3 it does 6-24 plus bonus, and so on ad infinitum.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
I don't like the ability to infinitely increase spell strength. It was better when lvl 3 was the max.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
Yeah, I prefered the simpler three levels with each third level of a spell being a bit of its own minor quest in the game. Increasing intelligence, mage & priest levels, and magery seems like plenty in addition with which to increase the strength of spells. I wonder if Jeff is making this more or less complex for Avernum 4.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt