Gotta get outta the Crescent Valley

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Gotta get outta the Crescent Valley
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I'm right at the end, trying to deliver the doll to the demon dame. I understand it's not necessary to end the game fighting or killing her, but I can't find any way for anything else to happen but my PC's trying to sleep with her and then of course getting slaughtered. I'm a logical guy...can't come up with any likely elements I'm missing at this point. I just want to finish this thing and move on. All I could think of as remotely relevant was to give my PC's resistance potions and see whether that might affect their vulnerability to the succubus, but I doubt this is even possible. I believe I've tried every possible sequence of dialogue. Even more disconcerting, it seems anyone else who has played this thing found a way to end it successfully. I feel really stupid at the moment.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The check used to determine whether you succumb to the succubus is random and pretty bizarre. As far as I can tell from looking at the script, if you're playing with a singleton your chances of successfully resisting are extremely low, and if you're playing with any other party your chances depend on the way Willpower is distributed among your party. I don't think this is the intended behaviour, but that's how it works.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
In other words, keep trying the same few options, and eventually it will work.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
OK, now I don't feel so stupid. Can't say I'm a big fan of semi-random, non-intuitive solutions like this though. I have a duo...one a fighter with low intelligence, though due to accumulated magical artifacts like the radioactive green plate mail (TM sure is generous!), my fighter has good mental resistance....maybe 50%, and the mage/priest has even more. If the check is expecting a total willpower from four PC's, then it would be hard for two to add up enough. I'll play with it some more and see if victory is forthcoming. Thanks for the quick reply!

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
It's not exactly to do with the number of PCs. Your chance of passing the check depends on the ratio of the Willpower of the party member with highest Willpower to your party's total Willpower. As I said, this is completely bizarre. But what it boils down to is that you have the best possible chance of success if every party member's Willpower is exactly equal, regardless of how much Willpower they actually have.

Having more party members does improve your chances, though.

[ Wednesday, September 14, 2005 18:45: Message edited by: Strychnine ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
OK, all done. It took about five aborted attempts of "Would you like the doll?" for the alternate reply to show up...this was with 55% mental resistance and 100% mental resistance from my two PC's.

Oh, and I'm sure glad I kept my alternate weapon to Demonslayer considering Terra isn't too keen on me keeping it on the way out. Kind of a red herring, even putting it in this scenario, doncha think? Though I did experiment with invulnerability potions and killing the succubus and the efreets. She drops some jewelry, but nothing too special or worthwhile, plus you get one of those "You wonder if there was a better way to resolve this" messages aftewards.

On to the Druids of Krell...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Enjoy the scenario. It's better written than CV, I'll say that much. At least, there's less bizarre stuff in it.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
I just killed the succubus. If you do things properly and attack first rather than talking to her, and remember things like Radiant Shield helping a lot against Efreets, you can even do it as a rather low level.