I finished Bahssikava!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I finished Bahssikava!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
Whew. Maybe I shouldn't make a topic about this, but it was a tremendous experience. For far more than three days (with long, very long evenings), I have been enthralled by a work that can be rivalled only by the Avernum series itself, if that. So prepare for a longish post.

I have seen scenarios with gratuitous combat, and scenarios where the plot replaced the gameplay. I have seen games where the plot was little more than an excuse for the action. The mixture here, however, was perfect. Rarely before have I seen a plot that meshed so seamlessly with itself and with the game, that managed to take anything into account that I could think of doing, where the combat was equally challenging and exhilerating with an overpowered near-god party as with normal characters. That this is Kelandon's first work only makes it more incredible. Ladies and Gentleman, we have a second Brett Bixler!

I must admit that I felt reserve before, any time there was a discussion concerning the slith background, and "Bahssikava" was used to back up a point. Adding background information to a world far more shallow than it deserves to be is always desirable, but too often I have been disappointed because the new canon was either illogical, poorly planned, or poorly put into practice. I was skeptic when I saw that the first work of a beginner in scenario design stood to take the place as the most extensive authority on Slithzerikai history. No more.

So. I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now in the certainty that I will never in a century produce a work like this, and then, tomorrow perhaps, see if I can write a few reviews. :)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I am extremely pleased to hear that you liked it. :) Be sure to write a review when you work up the energy.

I did my best to make only reasonable assumptions about slith history within the context of the sparse details that the Avernum series gives, which is why I (hopefully) didn't over-reach myself on the background.

Have you played LP yet? It's smaller in scale but a little more tightly plotted.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Well, with the sparse information Jeff gives on Bahssikava and the Homeland, it is impossible to make such a work and not add significantly to the canon.

And no, I haven't played LP yet. There's only so much free time I have, and this past week I've been shamefully lazy. All your fault, Kel! :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #3
Hey Kel, are you going to be doing 'Exodus'? I saw it mentioned in the game and Im hoping youll follow through with that. A scen based on fighting the way to the Slith homeland would be excellent.

And so far, 'Bahssikava' is the best scenario Ive come across.

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Exodus will happen someday. I plan to start after finals, so in a little under a month. I'm not sure how long it will take, though; Bahs took nearly a year.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5699
Profile #5
Whos Brett Bixler?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
A Blades of Exile scenario designer.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!