effects of special skills

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: effects of special skills
Apprentice
Member # 5632
Profile #0
I noticed there seems to be a lot of questions about this, which leads me to believe no actual database exists. I, for one, am not sure what some of the skills actually do. Therefore, if anyone does have a complete list, it might be helpful to post it or provide a link. If not, maybe you could just fill in what gaps you know or correct my errors, and I'll edit the list to include them. This is what I've determined, myself:

MAGERY:
Adds one bonus point (the "B" value in the spell calculations in the manual) to both mage and priest spells, one magic resistance, and one willpower. Requires: 10 intelligence.

MAGICAL EFFICIENCY:
Unknown chance to reduce spell costs by unknown amount. Requires: 8 magery, 11 endurance.

SHARPSHOOTER:
The same as one point each in bows and thrown weapons. Adds one level of damage in and +5% to hit in each. Requires: 6 dexterity, 8 in either bows or thrown weapons.

BLADEMASTER:
The same as one point each in melee and pole weapons. Adds one level of damage and +5% to hit in each. Requires: 8 strength, 6 melee weapons, 6 pole weapons.

QUICK STRIKE:
Adds one point to intitiative (who acts first in combat, otherwise determined only by dexterity) and gives unknown chance for extra action points. Requires: 8 dexterity, 6 in either melee or pole weapons.

ANATOMY:
Unknown bonus to damage vs. humanoids and to first aid. Requires: 6 intelligence, 8 pole weapons.

GYMNASTICS:
Adds one point intiative and reduces chance to be hit by unknown amount. Requires: 8 strength, 10 dexterity.

PARRY:
Theoretically gives a chance to greatly reduce damage received from an attack.In practice, not much - only works against weapon users? Requires: 8 dexterity, 6 defense.

RIPOSTE:
Theoretically gives a chance to deflect damage back onto an attacker. In practice, not much - only works against weapon users? Requires: 8 parry, 6 blademaster, 8 in either melee or pole weapons.

RESISTANCE:
Gives one point each in resist elements, resist poison, resist magic, and willpower. (5% bonus to resist fire, cold, magic, mental, poison) Requires: 8 strength, 10 dexterity, 11 endurance, 8 hardiness.

PATHFINDER:
Reduces chance and severity of damage from hostile terrain (swamps, lava, etc.) by unknown amount. Requires: 8 intelligence, 8 nature lore.

LETHAL BLOW:
Unknown chance to do hugely enhanced damage to a much weaker enemy. (like a more extreme version of assassination) Requires: 8 blademaster, 8 anatomy.

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 12:38: Message edited by: Evil_Penguin ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Uh, Quick Strike and Parry require 8 dexterity, and Resistance and Gymnastics require 10 dexterity. You probably had a dexterity bonus from some source (either from being a Nephil, being Divinely Touched or an equipped item) on the character you were testing this on.

Actually, a list of all the prerequisites has already been compiled, so we should focus on the effects.

(Oh, and you forgot Lethal Blow. It requires some high number of points in Blademaster and Anatomy, and gives you a chance to do triple damage against enemies of lower level than yourself.)

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 11:54: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Much of this is a duplication of information in the Player FAQ. I think some of it is new, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5632
Profile #3
Oops, my bad. It was a nephil. I didn't realize their dex bonus didn't count for the prerequisites. It's changed now.