Hold on there a second, fella.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hold on there a second, fella.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #0
quote:
PB: *i
First of all, there is an "Edit" feature. Triple posting is frowned upon on message boards, especially on ones where a company has to pay for its users to use.

Secondly, the bottom line is online Avernum will not happen. Spiderweb Software does not have the time nor the financial resources to do it. Sorry.
Hold on there a second, fella.

I think * is on to something. Conceivably, all the manager would need is a PHP capable server, and about 100 MB of available space.

Here's the idea, the interface could be re-done in Java, or just HTML even! all the data could be stored on the server in text files. PHP code could access the files and turn the stored data into javascript variables.

Those variables could, in turn, be interpereted into images, cascaded on CSS layers, or exile style images on a table if layers are not possible, GIF transparency could be used. Items, character stats and other variables would be stored as JavaScript.

buttons would replace the standard controls. I also have a brilliant idea as to how you could use the mouse to navigate.

A huge fully transparent GIF could cover the entire player area, then, an ImageMap could be used with the HTML imagemap tag! the cells of the imageMap could each have an onMouseOver funtion that changes the cursor to it's respective position. an OnClick function would move the character in the 8 directions.

a second table, beside the data table could hold item definitions. Each item paired with a properties index, an image index, and a description index in three text files respectively.

--------------

Maybe Spider Web doesn't have the time for that kind of a project, but if anyone has a PHP capable server, it may be something you would like to take on over a weekend or something.

--------------

Anyway, all I'm saying is, don't be so quick to throw out an idea, *i.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
The problem remains. Jeff has frequently said he will never do this because of inherent maintenance issues. Until he changes this stance, any discussion on this forum is really pointless. That is pretty much the end of the story.

It will not be a feature of BoA, so it really has no place on this board. If you want to pursue it further, take it to the General forum.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2275
Profile #2
thanx mate, my thoughts exactly... u shouldnt throw a good idea out b4 examining all the possibilities... and btw, sorry 4 triple posting, i didnt know that rule...

--------------------
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images not permitted.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
It's not whether or not I think it is a good idea, it's whether or not it would be fruitful to discuss. Jeff has routinely said for the past couple years that he does not intend to do it. I don't see how having a discussion here on an idea that will not get accomplished in the frame of this forum.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #4
I suppose he'd probably let one of us do it and use the name "Avernum," but it couldn't be turn based.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #5
Well, anyways, I do plan on pursuing this, under the condition that I will not be doing it on my own.

So, if anyone here would like in on the project, you can reach me...

MSN :: Motekye@hotmail.com
AIM :: emotekye

Well, I get the idea Spid doesn't want this topic to clutter up it's forums, so please contact me to discuss this further.

Please close this topic.

[ Thursday, January 16, 2003 22:23: Message edited by: Motekye ]

--------------------
Leave me alone.