COMPLETE- Player Character graphics set

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: COMPLETE- Player Character graphics set
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #25
You poor, poor boy. Use The Gimp. Save Yourself!! This will make shading and color-shifting infinitely easier.

Yes, the dervish rocks too. But the goblin was so much WORSE that yours looks better than the dervish by contrast. As stand-alone graphics, the dervish is better. But the goblin is a better improvement from the old monstrosity. I think we'll eventually replace all of the bad BoA graphics.

CAN YOU HEAR ME, JEFF?!!!!!

[ Sunday, January 30, 2005 19:20: Message edited by: bleusoul ]

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
Fortunately, A4 will adopt a more Geneforge-like engine.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #27
@blersoul-

Okay, I have gimp- now what do I do? :P

@*i- soem us (like me) prefer the reguler engine to the geneforge monstrosity ;)
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #28
@xen.

well... figure out how to use it might be a good start... :-P you have installed it, right? it helps.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #29
so, it'll be quite much harder to create custom graphics for avernum 4 then? i mean, don't the geneforges use more complex graphics than the avernums and so on? :-/
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #30
GIMP is a pain in the a$$ all around. Feature-wise it may be the best all around freeware graphics tool but MAN is it not user-friendly!(Think Blender for 2D).

Taste is subjective btw folks. I have looked at ALL of the user-created custom graphics submitted so far and I have not seen any better than the ones that came with BoA by MY tastes. Bleusoul's graphics are too "cute"(and bulky!) for my tastes but I would not blast those graphics in every other thread I post in because they are still good graphics.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #31
quote:

Taste is subjective btw folks. I have looked at ALL of the user-created custom graphics submitted so far and I have not seen any better than the ones that came with BoA by MY tastes. Bleusoul's graphics are too "cute"(and bulky!) for my tastes but I would not blast those graphics in every other thread I post in because they are still good graphics.[/QB]
Just curious, how woudl you rank my work- I'm lookign to get a resutl that is on par with the actuals graphics; I dont want somthign either superior, or inferior, as graphic inconsistency pisses me off.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by kendl:
so, it'll be quite much harder to create custom graphics for avernum 4 then?
Um, why would you create custom graphics for A4?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by kendl:
so, it'll be quite much harder to create custom graphics for avernum 4 then?
Um, why would you create custom graphics for A4?

why wouldnt you- my recent debut peice was orginially intended for Avernum 3 mind you, because I for one was dissastified with the pre-existing choices
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by SkeleTony:

GIMP is a pain in the a$$ all around. Feature-wise it may be the best all around freeware graphics tool but MAN is it not user-friendly!(Think Blender for 2D).

Bleusoul's graphics are too "cute"(and bulky!) for my tastes but...

you're right. the GIMP is terribly anti-user. it only works for me because i've tried every option enough times to know what it can do.

cute... lol...

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #35
kelandon, i have so far replaced quite a bunch of the original graphics of the earlier avernums with new and imo better graphics.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
Fair enough. Are these graphics available to the public? If not, you might consider releasing them so that BoA designers could use them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #37
well, the replacement graphs i use/d are mostly stolen (i like to use the word loaned here) from another games, and from various websites... so... :-)

oh, i have tried to create graphics myself, but the results... it's no use to replace dull graphics with horrendous graphics, eh? :-D

[ Friday, February 04, 2005 11:57: Message edited by: kendl ]
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Fair enough. Are these graphics available to the public? If not, you might consider releasing them so that BoA designers could use them.
of course; all one has to do is save them to thier computer, and change the format :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #39
Xen, I'm not sure I understand you. If it wasn't clear, the "these graphics" to which I referred were the "newer and better graphics" that kendl had just mentioned.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5462
Profile Homepage #40
Nice job ^^ I'm trying to edit the graphics myself, but I get errors whenever the game tries to display the non-standard ones (though they work fine on the character creation screen). I wonder, did you do anything special when you made yours? I made mine with a standard graphics editor, and have tried them with multiple colour-depth and resolution settings, to no avail. Any chance I could impose upon you for help?

--------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
Fox Lee Studios
Furbidden Realms
The Lee-chimera Journal
Canned
Member # 5435
Profile Homepage #41
will anyone ever tell me how to do it on mac ????? (panic) Kelandon you use mac dont you ??????? if you do can you tell me
???????????????????????? i like that graphic it was much better than other choices so if anyone happens to know how please tell me

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

--------------------
my web page
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
Calm down, there. :P

Replacing PC graphics is unsupported, as far as I know, which means that you should back up whatever files you change before you do anything, because SW doesn't like you doing things like this.

To use them, I believe you have to go inside the base graphics themselves, which are in the BoA Files folder, in the file BoA Art. Open it with a resource editor, like, say, ResEdit. Choose a graphic to replace (say, the almost-naked brawny guy), and find the graphics for him. (1651 and 1801, for example.)

Make sure that the graphic that you've downloaded is in the right format. I'm not sure how exactly to do this. I think just pasting it into ResEdit will work (which is the next step), but if your game crashes repeatedly, that probably means that you need an actual graphics converter.

Anyway, now replace the graphics. Delete graphic 1651 and replace it with the corresponding custom graphic. Delete graphic 1801 and replace it with the corresponding custom one.

There are, er, more graphics to replace, but I can't find them at the moment. Someone who has actually done it could probably tell you more.

--------------------

Pages