best class for first timer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: best class for first timer
Apprentice
Member # 6223
Profile #0
I have never played any of the geneforge games. Which class would you recommend as a good class to play the game. I do not want a real difficult challenge. are some classes harder than others if you are not familiar with them. I plan to play on normal difficulty.

I only plan on playing the game once as if i do like the game i will then move on to geneforge 2 and 3.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The Shaper is probably the easiest class; battles can sometimes take longer than with an Agent, but if you let your creations do all the fighting for you there's much less risk of dying. It's also the one that's most characteristically Geneforge-ish; the Guardian and Agent are pretty standard fighter and mage characters.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
I agree with everything Thuryl said.

Agents are more difficult at the start, but easier near the end. Guardians are easier at the start, but very difficult later. Shapers are relatively easy throughout the game, if you rely primarily on creatures. (So intelligence skill is shaper's first priority.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
Since you're a first timer I'd add to that, if you play as a shaper it's imperative you buy at least 2 intelligence points for each creation. Otherwise you won't be able to control them, and you'll probably not enjoy the game at all.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #4
As a shaper, you may also want to invest in healing craft to heal your creations. And sometimes rogues attack your shaper, so you may want to put a point in endurance once in a while.

Oh, and don't forget that melee rogues (like thahds) can't slaughter your shaper if the rogue is trapped behind a wall of your creations. Use that to your advantage.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Apprentice
Member # 6223
Profile #5
thanks for the suggestions. I created a shaper. And I made a fyora. I used up all my essence- gave one point to int, dex and endurance. Now there is an essence pool in the beginning of the Abandoned vale section. According to the walkthru it should refill my essence but it does not. And now i am unable to use the heal spell because I do not have enough essence--only have one and need 2. what is going on here. How do i refill the essence. the heal pool I can keep using so why not the essence pool. with the shaper being so weak, i don't want to have to keep walking back to the pool after every battle. one hit and she is on deaths door.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #6
Once you use essence to make a creation, it will be gone until your creation dies or you absorb it.
(i.e. using 20 out of 30 essence points to make a creation will cause your essence to be unable to fill up past ten)

There are cheats for this game.

Here is a cheat site.

[ Wednesday, August 17, 2005 09:18: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
When making a creation, it's best to put two points into intelligence so that you can control it and no points into anything else to save the essence. A fyora should cost 11 essence this way, and you should try to make as many as possible.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
How many creations you make depends on your style of player. I did pretty well with only 2 cryoras for a long time. If you make less creations, you'll have more essence left to bless and heal them and will be getting slightly more expericence. So make as many as you feel you need to win most battles. (Some battles you'll just have to come back later to finish.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 6223
Profile #9
I had a save prior to making the first creation so i restored back as I didn't want to cheat. I made a fyora using just 11 essence as drakefyre suggested so this way I was able to cast 2 heal spells. I also realized I did not have any armor equipped before so that also helped.

i have now leveled up. what stats do you recommend to put into the creatures?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #10
Mmm. To be perfectly honest, I found the Guardian the easiest to play through, on, by far. I think an important thing for most first-timers is to turn the difficulty down from normal to easy or one of the easier settings...

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by JZT:

i have now leveled up. what stats do you recommend to put into the creatures?
I don't recommend upgrading your creations. Save your essence until you can make another creation -- for Shapers, quantity beats quality most of the time.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Apprentice
Member # 6223
Profile #12
The Seraphim: i am playing at normal difficulty. since it seems like you can change the difficulty on the fly, i can always change it to easy if the need arises.

Thuryl , it never occurred to me to wait until I had enough essence to make another creation. i just thought you would want this one stronger at the early stages in the game. but thinking about it I see what you say makes sense.

[ Friday, August 19, 2005 23:21: Message edited by: JZT ]