Bipolar

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Bipolar
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #125
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Not all desperately heartfelt prayers, for instance, are granted.
I sure spent a lot of years frustrating through this experience, and now I realize, God does not choose anything for me. By what criteria would God determine which answers are yea and which are nay?

How about this: by virtue of making a statement of what we want, as true creators in the image of the Creator, we are creating the experience of want for ourselves. If we say, "I want this. Please give me this," we are saying that we do not have it, and the universe agrees with us. And that is what we continue to experience...wanting. But when we make a statement of what is not as if it now is..., well, I am, that I am.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator N:R Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items A5 Map
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #126
I guess I'm just old school on this one. God is God. Me, I'm lucky if I can make the coffee taste the way I want it in the morning. And to dust I shall return.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #127
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

How about this: by virtue of making a statement of what we want, as true creators in the image of the Creator, we are creating the experience of want for ourselves. If we say, "I want this. Please give me this," we are saying that we do not have it, and the universe agrees with us. And that is what we continue to experience...wanting. But when we make a statement of what is not as if it now is..., well, I am, that I am.
By acting as if what you desire to be true is in fact true, you have joined the illustrious company of such people as erotomaniacs and megalomaniacs. Seriously, this kind of belief is not just wrong but dangerous. It's the kind of thing that drives people to shoot presidents.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #128
See me as you choose. Get used to the new paradigm I have minimally described, because it ain't going away. I am far from the only person who is understanding our reality this way. If you mean dangerous to the state of the world as we know it, yes, you are correct. When a critical mass is reached, the world as we know it cannot continue to exist, when people take accountability for what we are all creating, see that we are all one within it, and that what we do to any other, we do to ourselves. I didn't click on your link. I'm not interested in any spurious equating of my experience or mindset with that of any other, flattering or insulting.

What I have described is also hardly new. Power of Positive Belief, The Secret, Dwane Dyer, and many others have been promoting aspects of these viewpoints for quite some time.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator N:R Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items A5 Map
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #129
Synergy is right. Many people have espoused this viewpoint, all the way back to antiquity. It isn't going away. However, it doesn't really show any signs of becoming more prominent (attaining the above critical mass, if you will), either. It's a representative piece of human nature, a sort of collective anima, bearing its own unique insight, but couched in language that repulses.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #130
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

... scientists are pretty good at determining what is and what is not science. Or, according to some, it's science precisely because it's what the scientists have claimed.
Most scientists that I know are more eager to detail what they don't know, rather than what they do know. The resulting eagerness to explore, explain, and quantify the unknown is their hallmark.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #131
quote:
Originally written by Fires Upon the Aether:

Paranormal causing different brain chemistry is possible, but not scientific.
Not paranormal, but belief in it.

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

But this is beside the point. This writer is not a scientist. This writer is a journalist writing for a science-popularizing magazine. Try Nature or Science for real science, not popularizations.
Ok – and I do recognize that he is a reporter - but he’s taking a cue from scientists. Is national geographic science? Because a National Geographic article came up in the infamous Regulation thread that I believe demonstrates the same kind of bias.

T. Rex soft tissue had supposedly survived for tens of millions of years when the max is supposed to be hundreds of thousands for soft tissue. So what we have is an anomaly that could go either way: (1) A 70 million year old bone with soft tissue or (2) tissue less than a million years old in an animal we thought died millions of years ago. I didn’t even see (2) mentioned, even though dates have had to be changed for all kinds of animals when newer or older remains (or the animal alive and well) are found.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070412-dino-tissues.html

There are interviews with actual scientists so you can’t say it’s national geographic.

This is me avoiding discussing the insane bias in evolutionary thought.

-----

quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

But when we make a statement of what is not as if it now is..., well, I am, that I am.
Interestingly, certain churches of Christendom line up with you on this to some extent (although they tend to incorporate the Judeo-Christian God in this power of speaking things to existence). My Dad has a church and this is about what he teaches his flock. I do recognize the power of positive thinking, salesmanship, and hard work, but this tends to sound like delusion of grandeur.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #132
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

T. Rex soft tissue had supposedly survived for tens of millions of years when the max is supposed to be hundreds of thousands for soft tissue.
It wasn't "soft tissue" -- it was minute and incomplete traces of collagen, one of the most durable proteins in existence, detected using an extremely sensitive analytical technique. It's still pretty damn impressive, and if I were one of the scientists working on it I'd be looking very hard to rule out any recent contamination of the samples, but it's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

quote:
So what we have is an anomaly that could go either way: (1) A 70 million year old bone with soft tissue or (2) tissue less than a million years old in an animal we thought died millions of years ago. I didn’t even see (2) mentioned, even though dates have had to be changed for all kinds of animals when newer or older remains (or the animal alive and well) are found.
Perhaps you'd also like scientists to go looking for plesiosaurs in Loch Ness.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #133
Is it entirely beyond the realm of possibility that T. Rex walked the earth within the past million years?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #134
It's not quite inconceivable, but it also goes against every other piece of evidence we have. Preservation of some soft tissue requires a much smaller change in what we believe to be true than believing there was a live T. rex within the last million years. That would mean that the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event didn't quite happen the way we thought, tens of millions of years turned up no dinosaur fossils but this one, and we need to worry about how so much evidence isn't there.

Or there could have been a one in a million (roughly) perfect circumstance that preserved soft tissue in bones and fossils that were, I'm assuming, properly dated and found to fall into the right age range for the late Cretaceous Tyrannosaurus.

—Alorael, who thinks there would be lots of hard questions to ask if someone tried radiocarbon dating on a dinosaur fossil and found that it was alive recently enough for there to be appreciable C14 remaining. Since there isn't any evidence for recentness beyond unlikely preservation, unlikely preservation makes more sense. Nobody has suggested alien intervention for similar reasons even though it's quite possible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #135
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

Is national geographic science?
No. It's not.

quote:
Because a National Geographic article came up in the infamous Regulation thread that I believe demonstrates the same kind of bias.
What you're describing as "bias" is actually a tendency to doubt theories that rest on weaker ground more than ones that rest on stronger ground. You presented two possibilities. (1) just implies that our understanding of fossil preservation is incomplete, which requires revising some science that is known to be somewhat unsettled anyway. (2) requires completely re-writing all of geological history, starting with what happened at the K-T boundary and how the heck a T-rex could've survived the impact that caused the Chicxulub Crater, and leading all the way down to how on Earth we could've only found T-rex fossils from 65-68 million years ago if they existed 1 million years ago.

Scientists generally don't challenge theories that are supported by a mountain of evidence unless they have an opposing mountain of evidence.

In this case, though, presumably several things led to the dating of this dinosaur at approximately its date, including evidence from the fossil itself to the ground in which it was found. When multiple independent confirmations of a particular fact are available, typically one doesn't question that fact.

quote:
Is it entirely beyond the realm of possibility that T. Rex walked the earth within the past million years?
You would need incredible evidence. Far more incredible than this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #136
Mmmmmmm....T-Rex T-bones.

-S-

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #137
My older sister married a man who was diagnosed bipolar. I've never heard him say anything about it, though I've heard some horror stories from my sister and parents who have all witnessed 'episodes'. We only get together about twice a year, so my information is all second hand but this is how I understand his battle with it.

When he's normal, he can be a great guy. Funny, thoughtful, and charming though noticeably controlling. When he has an 'episode', in his mind, the whole world is out to get him and nothing anyone says is valid. He becomes paranoid and (as she calls it) interrogates my sister into the wee hours of the night accusing and arguing and going out of his way to pick a fight. His behavior is flat out emotional abuse. This is how it is when he's on his meds. If he's off there's just no reasoning with him. He has put himself and others in danger in this state. After an episode, when he can think properly again, he tries to be extra nice and thoughtful. He'll admit he was wrong but he doesn't like to apologize. It wasn't his fault afterall. It's something he can't control when it happens, which is why I think he's noticeably controlling when in his right mind. And it's embarrassing so it's little wonder to me why he doesn't talk about it. Now whether his is misdiagnosed or not, I can't say. He is hard to live with regardless.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive

Pages