[PPP] Search function redux

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: [PPP] Search function redux
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I was going to post this in the PPP4 topic, but in a cruel irony that topic just missed the cut-off date for the purge it was for.

Because I noticed there was some demand for it, I got to work on the search function again, and a few hours filled with caffeine, Pentangle and vi were enough to get it ready.

http://pied-piper.ermarian.net/search can now search the length and width of the archives, including a (surprisingly fast) full-text search.

The keyword-highlighting still breaks the markup on occasion (when the keyword is in a link), signatures are searched (and will always be), and there is no way to search a specific forum. But for most practical purposes, this search engine will now find what you need!

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #1
This Pentangle????
*gazes in amazement*

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Yup, they're the ones. I really like their music.

Why, not my generation? :P

[ Wednesday, August 08, 2007 13:30: Message edited by: root ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #3
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I thought it better than posting an entirely new one. It suddenly occurred to me that Aran's new search feature provides and excellent excuse for members to think back on the old days and, perhaps, find some dirt. So I ask those of you caught in the present to plug your member number into a search and take a look at what you find. It might not be pretty.

You can find my first post here .

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
Is this going to become a "find your oldest post in PPP archive" thread? (I am not objecting, just asking.)

On topic, Aran, could you connect PPP with endeavor database to get the post context on the day they were posted. (You are getting current member names, but it would be even better to get the member names, locations, and custom titles from the closest available snapshot in endeavor, or the information you got when parsing through original archives, whichever is more current.) This would present the posts as closely as possible to the way they appeared when posted.

And talking about endeavor database, could you include a feature for looking up all archived PDNs for a certain member number. That would be very helpful for looking up random members who seem to have been active before, but whom I can't recognize based on profile alone.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
I can't display enough results to find my first topic. That could be fixed, I suppose.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Is this going to become a "find your oldest post in PPP archive" thread? (I am not objecting, just asking.)

On topic, Aran, could you connect PPP with endeavor database to get the post context on the day they were posted. (You are getting current member names, but it would be even better to get the member names, locations, and custom titles from the closest available snapshot in endeavor, or the information you got when parsing through original archives, whichever is more current.) This would present the posts as closely as possible to the way they appeared when posted.

And talking about endeavor database, could you include a feature for looking up all archived PDNs for a certain member number. That would be very helpful for looking up random members who seem to have been active before, but whom I can't recognize based on profile alone.

Merging Endeavor and PPP has been one of my pet pipe dreams for a while. Unfortunately, it will take a good while before I even know how to set up the database structure.

The "closest snapshot" was in effect earlier. Due to the way I am currently having Endeavor and PPP communicate, that went when I put in the privacy functionality in April.

See, PPP makes use of an open API of the Endeavor - it requests a URL and receives XML data. Whenever you visit an archived topic, the member data you see is queried from the Endeavor and parsed. Yes, this is hilariously stupid when they're on the same server. Still, the privacy issue applies: If you don't want your old location to show in the member list, would you be comfortable with it being displayed with your old posts?

And the archived PDN is also on the feature list for Endeavor.

What the heck, I have a week of delicious unemployed freedom. I might work on a few things...

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo