You can do anything if you set your mind to it.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: You can do anything if you set your mind to it.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

and the education system is too deliberately ineffective
That is ridiculously over-cynical. Ineffective maybe, but deliberately so, I won't buy.

Anyway what the hell is the point of this thread? Wouldn't it be more satisfying to just go and torture some small animals, or something?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Most people with the power and authority to fix the worst of the education system have no vested interest in doing so. I'm sure relatively few people revel in keeping the poor ignorant, but most people just have better things to do at the end of the day because it's not their kids who are in decaying inner-city schools with incompetent staff afflicted with irrational curricula.

—Alorael, who himself does not understand economics well enough to understand how credit card companies benefit from saddling the poor with unpayable debts. Heavy debts, fine, but it's in the interests of those companies to get repayed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Airborne Raver:

Most people with the power and authority to fix the worst of the education system have no vested interest in doing so. I'm sure relatively few people revel in keeping the poor ignorant, but most people just have better things to do at the end of the day because it's not their kids who are in decaying inner-city schools with incompetent staff afflicted with irrational curricula.
In fact, those who have the power to fix the school system have a vested interest in not doing so: apportioning more money to poor schools results in less money going to rich schools, so they require more property taxes to run at their current standards.

The usual heinous suspects find a way to get enraged about it, then elect opposition candidates who quietly slim down inner-city school funding.

Even though those hurt by slimming down poor schools are far more numerous than those hurt by making them stronger, they're also far less politically active, so any reformer without an extremely powerful grip on a tenacious political machine has no hope at all.

This is so predictable that controllers and boards of education generally don't even try any more.
quote:

—Alorael, who himself does not understand economics well enough to understand how credit card companies benefit from saddling the poor with unpayable debts. Heavy debts, fine, but it's in the interests of those companies to get repayed.

Interest, of course. At some point, people with heavy debts stop paying you back; people with unpayable debts continue paying you back until they die.

While that does mean some amount of debt will never be repaid, the real outlay for credit cards is extremely modest when you consider the heavy interest rate calculated monthly, and that most people with credit cards barely have the capacity to pay back interest - if they have that capacity at all.

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 13:48: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Airborne Raver:

What's in the interests of credit card companies is for the debtor to max out the card, barely meet the interest payments every month and therefore continually send money their way while never paying off the actual loan.

EDIT: Damn you, Alec. :P

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 13:47: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #29
But then there's people like my parents who find a loophole in the system, write a letter to 'The Man' and make $70,000 in CC debt dissapear without bankruptcy.

They have tried to explain to me how there is an obscure law that says something about it being illegal to charge interest the way that credit card companies do. I haven't the foggiest how it actually works, but my parents haven't paid a dime in years and no one's been asking them to.

Ethical? I lean to no, but my parents are convinced that the banks aren't out any money because of the way they set it up.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

Pages