Global warming is getting tired, as a threat.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Global warming is getting tired, as a threat.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
Well, in the long run, we're likely to see periods of warming, ice ages, asteroid impacts and all kinds of wacky things. It doesn't mean they'll be good for us, though.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
The way I see it, dramatically changing the composition of the atmosphere over such as short time period relative to Earth's history is very risky. The system my be able to handle it, it is quite large, after all. However, it could also have catastrophic consequences. For this reason we need to do our best to limit carbon emissions.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

I remember hearing somewhere that global warming is going to happen eventually, regardless of pollution or the absence of it.
Well, sure... the sun will eventually expand to a red giant phase where it eventually engulfs the inner planets, and I guess that could be viewed as a global warming of sorts (including the run-up to that point). I mean, if it doesn't explode.

And technically, we're still in an "ice age" now, and will be until the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets melt. But the thing is, we're not really equipped to handle the end of said ice age, at least not on an immediate time scale.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

... we're not really equipped to handle the end of said ice age, at least not on an immediate time scale.
And by that you mean that the population of the human species will be dramatically reduced in size and scope, right?

:D

Edit - Clarity. Must have clarity.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:50: Message edited by: Spammin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #29
quote:
If the long-term trend continues, all fish and seafood species are projected to collapse within my lifetime -- by 2048.
He probably doesn't mean complete extinction of everything in the ocean, but this is about as extreme of a scenario as a respectable scientist can hope to make short of saying that the oceans will turn into acid.

We must care about the environment, but I really don't think all our efforts should be toward preventing global warming. The issues of limited oil reserves, toxic pollution, water contamination, and deforestation are extremely important and the general public should start caring about them too.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #30
Oh, you guys do get that the fishing article actually has nothing to do with global warming, right? Right?
He's just talking about the effects of over-fishing on populations. Kind of like what we did to the enormous bison herds around 1900.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Oh, you guys do get that the fishing article actually has nothing to do with global warming, right? Right?
He's just talking about the effects of over-fishing on populations. Kind of like what we did to the enormous bison herds around 1900.

Yeah, the debate just went there. And about the bison herds, they're making a comeback. So at least we're not total failures at keeping species alive...

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
And it's a good thing, too -- a buffalo is just no substitute for a bison. For one thing, you can't wash your hands in a buffalo.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

And it's a good thing, too -- a buffalo is just no substitute for a bison. For one thing, you can't wash your hands in a buffalo.
Are you still allowed on the internet?

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

We all understood that. That's why this topic has two parallel threads of discussion. However, the title invited discussion on global warming, so there you go.

Um, why can't you wash your hands in a buffalo?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Um, why can't you wash your hands in a buffalo?
Because Thuryl tells bad jokes. :P

(bison -> basin... you wash your hands in a basin. It wasn't even that close, really.)

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #36
It doesn't work so well if you don't have an Australian accent. (It would seem that brings baisin and bison together - both sounding kinda like boison.)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

It doesn't work so well if you don't have an Australian accent. (It would seem that brings baisin and bison together - both sounding kinda like boison.)
Honestly, it didn't work very well in any accent. :P

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #38
Now that's comedy. I guess I shouldn't have tried so hard to figure out how to use the inner cavities of a bison for hand washing. It was actually pretty disturbing.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #39
garrison:
quote:
He probably doesn't mean complete extinction of everything in the ocean, but this is about as extreme of a scenario as a respectable scientist can hope to make short of saying that the oceans will turn into acid.

Hyperbole. Overwrought emotion. Like watching Arnold cry. Nuff said.

Zevo:
quote:
The problem with waiting until you are 100% ceratain that global warming is happening is that at that point, it will be impossible to do anything about it. The planet's climate is a massive system that takes centuries to change.
Interesting to note that various models on climate change indicate that small changes to the system can have drastic and (relatively)swift changes. (Like the Ice age article cited earlier?)

one starry night:
quote:
The way I see it, dramatically changing the composition of the atmosphere over such as short time period relative to Earth's history is very risky. The system my be able to handle it, it is quite large, after all. However, it could also have catastrophic consequences. For this reason we need to do our best to limit carbon emissions.

Agreed. A major source of carbon emmissions is the burning of fossil fuel. This will be difficult to wean off of.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by chasm of Sar:

Interesting to note that various models on climate change indicate that small changes to the system can have drastic and (relatively)swift changes. (Like the Ice age article cited earlier?)
Well, there's a difference between a swift change pushing the system towards chaos, and a swift change pulling it out. And all the climate models I've seen have been close enough to chaos that I'd rather not have to rely on any sort of abrupt changes. Besides, "swift" on a geologic time scale isn't very heartening.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

Zevo:
quote:
The problem with waiting until you are 100% ceratain that global warming is happening is that at that point, it will be impossible to do anything about it. The planet's climate is a massive system that takes centuries to change.

Like Ephesos said, "swift" on geologic timescale is a long time for humans. What I was trying to say is that once climate change becomes so drastic that it's impossible to deny (like forests growing in Antarctica), simply cutting down our emissions will not be enough to bring things back to a level that can support our current population and way of life. Anyway, I am not very knowledgable on this subject, so I'll leave the discussion to the experts.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #42
quote:

Hyperbole. Overwrought emotion. Like watching Arnold cry. Nuff said.
????

I only pointed out that the article made a very bold, grave prediction of the future. It's plausible if we continue to be idiots, which is a very likely possibility, but it's still just a worst case scenario.

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 14:11: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====

Pages