Emancipated!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Emancipated!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

Your logic would hopefully be able to be extended to other parts of life, where equally scared, fragile, and untrained folks might be in over their heads and not hear the proper options. One instance that I can think of is that of a first time criminal, freshly arrested. The arresting officer is lawfully bound to read a list of things to that criminal to protect that criminal. Would it be a hardship for a doctor, when counciling a patient, to also read a list of options? Maybe spend some time to hear the poor kids story and exercise some discretion? Perhaps hear that the home life sucks and offer up the judge hearing option before the parental notification option?
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here Salmon. Yes, of course I would extend that to Miranda rights.

In theory having the doctor do that sounds great, but the law proposed doesn't say anything about that, and it's certainly not going to happen by itself. It's also hard to get that to happen.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #26
Seeing as how failure to comply with the statute could result in revokation of license to practice medicine in the state of Oregon, and that doctors can be compassionate human beings, why would it be odd to consider that they might counsel patients extensively before putting them through the trauma of major surgery?

Under the scenario I think you are presenting, in which a scared, friendless, possibly mutant teenage girl finally realizes she is pregnant, after 2 months of morning sickness and none of the now familiar periods, she emerges from underneath the porch where her loving family houses her due to their troll-like attitudes. Wandering in a daze through the local professional building she finds the closest ob/gyn and gushes out "Can you fix me I want my period back and my parents would kill me if they found out and my life would be over and here's five hundred bucks and we could do it today."

That kind of troubled teenage girl? Or did you have another scenario in mind?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #27
Normally, Salmon, I'm all in favor of that kind of satire. But we're talking about people in legitimately awful situations here. I'm not trying to invoke pathos or paint a melodramatically sympathetic picture. But it seems to me that in our society, an adolescent who becomes pregnant is very likely

1) to have significant dysfunction in other areas of her life, and as a result of these things is likely
2) to be pretty demoralized, which compounds everything and makes it harder to deal effectively with the pregnancy and the future baby (whether by keeping it, giving it to adoption, or aborting it)

It doesn't seem to me that this is speculation far removed from reality. What exactly is your picture of a pregnant fifteen-year-old girl?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't mean to swear there. What a topic, huh? Also, does the title remind anyone else of "Saved!"?

[ Wednesday, October 25, 2006 08:00: Message edited by: Thahd Lemonade ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Thahd Lemonade:

Normally, Salmon, I'm all in favor of that kind of satire. But we're talking about people in legitimately awful situations here. I'm not trying to invoke pathos or paint a melodramatically sympathetic picture. But it seems to me that in our society, an adolescent who becomes pregnant is very likely

1) to have significant dysfunction in other areas of her life, and as a result of these things is likely
2) to be pretty demoralized, which compounds everything and makes it harder to deal effectively with the pregnancy and the future baby (whether by keeping it, giving it to adoption, or aborting it)

It doesn't seem to me that this is speculation far removed from reality. What exactly is your picture of a pregnant fifteen-year-old girl?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't mean to swear there. What a topic, huh? Also, does the title remind anyone else of "Saved!"?

Two things.
1) I plan on voting against this ballot measure.
2) The closest I can do to picture a 15 year old pregnant girl is maybe that wife of Tom Cruise. She looks about 15.
2) The Bible says though shalt commit satire for the greater good.

To wit, I shall quote an argument in favor of this BM.
quote:
As originally written by M Dennis Moore, Traditional Prejudices Coalition in the Voter's Pamphlet.

LIFE IS SACRED!
At the moment of fertilization, cells begin to divide and multiply. Every cell contains our DNA - three billion pieces of genetic information. Every cell is sacred.
The 80 trillion cells in our body are dividing and multiplying all the time. And tragically, some cells die and are replaced. Why, God kills off several hundred billion of your red blood cells every day! But "Thou shalt not kill." Only God my kill you cells.
Every cell is sacred - sperm, egg, embyro, fetus, heart, hair, fingernail. Jesus said "Even the hairs on your head are all numbered" (Matthew 10:30). Every cell is God's holy creation.
Although the Bible clearly indicates that the cells of the fetus have no soul separate from its mother (see previous argument[which I'm not gonna transcribe]), abortion nonetheless murders precious living cells.
According to Leviticus, a menstruating woman is unclean. She has wasted an unborn egg that could become a human life. The law should require parental notification of impending unborn uncleanliness.
Every act of masturbation kills up to 5000 million unborn lives. Every sperm is sacred! Just like abortion, masturbation murders soulless cells. There should be parental notification prior to masturbation.
According to the Bible, beard shaving (Leviticus 19:27) is every bit as aimmoral as homosexuality! Just like abortions scrapes away life in the uterus, shaving violently scrapes away and murders millions of living skin cells. Barbershops should be required to give parental notification before committing shaving sin.
Did you know that slaughtering a sacred appendix causes it to feel pain?
The Bible says that children who fail to honor their parents should be stoned to death (Exodus 21:17). Implementing biblical law in Oregon public policy could effectively eliminate teenage abortion, appendectomy, shaving, and sperm-murder.
Every cell is sacred. Every cell -- from soulless fetus to fingernail -- is a precious life that must not be killed..

[this should be center justified]
VOTE YES TO STOP THE SLAUGHTER
OF THE
HOLY HANGNAILS!
[/center]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #29
I seem to have lost the thread of the debate... you two are on the same side, no? Is it just about Salmon's rather sarcastic handling of the poll questions?

quote:
Originally written by Thahd Lemonade:

Also, does the title remind anyone else of "Saved!"?
Well, now it does. :P Excellently movie, though... and somewhat pertinent, I suppose.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages