Online Storage

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Online Storage
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #0
I'm making this topic because I need a place to store files online with a large storage capacity and it needs to be private.Any ideas on where to go?

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
More details would help. How much do you need to store? Why? How much bandwidth will you want for retrieval?

—Alorael, who would have to give different recommendations for 10 MB large files, 100 MB large files, and 1000 MB large files.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by The Dark Crusader:

I'm making this topic because I need a place to store files online with a large storage capacity and it needs to be private.
Why not just make them offline :confused:
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
Around 750mb would be useful.

To Commander Edward:I need online because say I have computer trouble and need to delete everything.There you go the files are gone.If online less chance of them getting dumped.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by The Dark Crusader:

To Commander Edward:I need online because say I have computer trouble and need to delete everything.There you go the files are gone.If online less chance of them getting dumped.
Well, okay. But 750mb a lot of space. You could probably get it, but you'd probably have to pay as well :(
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
If your computer has a CD burner, you can always just put everything on a CD-R.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
If you don't mind spending some time, you could zip them, then use a "file chopping tool" to break them up into chunks of 10 MB each, then feed them into a Google mail account...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #7
750Mb is an incredibly large file to upload, even with a high-speed cable connection. On my cable connection, I can download things at up to 1Mbps, on a good day. I've never uploaded at more than 60Kbps. That's a bit more than three and a half hours of uploading. If you have more than one such file, you might as well use CD-Rs or USB flash drives, which will save you at least three hours of your time.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Storing anything upward of 100 MB online is a bad idea unless you really need to make it publically available. Using paid webspace as file storage when there is any alternative is a waste of money - online space is far more expensive than local space, as a rule.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah, definately just get a USB key or a CD-R. CD-R cost near to nothing, don't have a monthly charge, and just one could plausibly hold your 750MB. And then there's DVD-R's.

[ Saturday, February 04, 2006 16:46: Message edited by: ben12C8 ]

--------------------
-ben4808