For the Aussies who care

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: For the Aussies who care
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
Makybe Diva! It seems to good to be true. 3 in a row, and now retired. I won some money. :)

For those who don't know what I'm on about, it was the Melbourne Cup today, a horse race. Makybe Diva has now won it 3 times in a row, something never done before.

Well done!

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
And they weren't even sure whether she could run or not till yesterday morning. I don't care about horse racing, but I still think that's awesome.

On the balance side, I know I'm not going to hear anything else for a few days, and it's all beginning to annoy me already.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
I'm not interested in horse races. Of course I knew the Cup was on, but I didn't gamble. Some people at school did though.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

On the balance side, I know I'm not going to hear anything else for a few days, and it's all beginning to annoy me already.
Yes, The Herald Sun will be banging on about it for days.

And I pose the question: Is she better than Phar Lap?

I think not. It comes down the old quality V quantity thing: Phar Lap was quality, Makybe Diva was/is quantity.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
Yeah, like you ever saw Phar Lap run.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
From the races I have seen, Ash.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #6
well in the opinion of someone who lives in Pt Lincoln (i still have a hangover) yesterday just was fantastic. i swear the whole town put money on the horse and Tony Santic (the horses owner) put free drinks for all on down at the local pub. very very messy night. And come on, in dollar value she has won more that Phar Lap ever did, even allowing for inflation

GO THE DIVA :D :D

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #7
Well, yes, $14.4 million is a lot, but as I said, Phar Lap would win by 5 or so lengths most times.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Exactly what is "quantity" and "quality" in a racehorse? I mean, what other important factors are there except for... well, you know, speed?

Yeah, I don't know much about horse racing...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
I suppose 'quantity' would be how many races they have won, while 'quality' would be winning by a lot more (say, four or so lengths), but not winning as many races.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Oh, so it's the quantity and quality of the horse's success, not that of the horse itself.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #11
In my book they have both gone down in history, one male and one female horse that will live on in the hearts of Aussies for years to come
(please headache go away)

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Apprentice
Member # 5170
Profile #12
I'm glad Makybe Diva Won but I'm unhappy that horse number 4 didn't get a place I lost $20 because that horse didn't get a place

[ Sunday, November 06, 2005 01:35: Message edited by: Jib ]

--------------------
Do not fear Jib is here!