Hypothetical Time

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hypothetical Time
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
I think "Hypothetical Time" means that it's time for a hypothetical question. No physics here.

I think that A or his heirs deserve compensation whether or not art should be privately owned. The art was originally held under the assumption that it could be, and the family deserves compensation if the art is taken from them or transitively taken from them by way of C. Anything else would just be more complicated, sanctioned theft.

—Alorael, who could argue that 100% property tax has large problems of its own. That is not not something that will very well within this discussion, though, and while derailment is a time-honored strategy, this discussion is still going strong.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Presumably Mr. A purchased the work at some point, which would give it a material value. Whether it's insured or not is beside the point. In a civil case, the jury could award compensation on whatever basis they choose, though it would probably be based on past prices paid for the work, as well as the value of comparable pieces of art by the artist.
Mr A might well have been given the work as a gift by the artist, or even drawn it himself. In that case, it is even more likely that the descendants will want the actual painting, and no material compensation.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #27
Difficult but interesting questions. What would be reasonable in my opinion:

A) A's family should have the right to demand it back (if not too much time has passed since the theft), but they should also pay a reward to B's descendant.

B) I'm not sure. Depends on how much time has passed since the auction etc.

C) No.

D) No.

Pages