Drug Debate Thread for the Rest of Us

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Drug Debate Thread for the Rest of Us
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
A few notes on sidetracks to the debate:

The drugs in question are mind-altering drugs. Performance-enhancing drugs are a separate problem. (Incidentally, I don't see why they have to be illegal, except that sports teams don't like them).

Driving drunk is no better and no worse than driving while incapacitated by any drug, and should be treated the same way. That does bring up the question of transit. If you can't drive yourself home after smoking pot (and you shouldn't), let alone using LSD, is this going to require major mass transit changes? But I digress.

Gaining money from drugs as it's gained from gambling is part of Alec's proposal. The problem is that drugs can be physically addictive and directly cause physical and mental damage. Mainly, gambling is another issue. So is murder, though, and it's become part of our debate.

—Alorael, who didn't know about murder for necessity. Does that also permit cannibalism, by any chance? And why does Thuryl know all of these fascinating things?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Mysterious Mod:

The drugs in question are mind-altering drugs. Performance-enhancing drugs are a separate problem. (Incidentally, I don't see why they have to be illegal, except that sports teams don't like them).
As the classic examples of performance-enhancing drugs, anabolic steroids used to be permitted in sport. Then men started growing breasts, women started growing beards and everyone started having heart attacks, and everyone decided it'd probably be better if they all just stopped using drugs. Anabolic steroids are still legal for some uses, but their possession is heavily regulated due to the potential for abuse.

quote:
Driving drunk is no better and no worse than driving while incapacitated by any drug, and should be treated the same way.
It's worth noting that there's a practical issue here; most drugs can't be tested for as quickly and reliably as alcohol.

quote:
That does bring up the question of transit. If you can't drive yourself home after smoking pot (and you shouldn't), let alone using LSD, is this going to require major mass transit changes? But I digress.
Obviously, the sensible thing to do is the same as with alcohol: don't consume the drug if you might need to drive soon afterwards.

quote:
—Alorael, who didn't know about murder for necessity. Does that also permit cannibalism, by any chance?
Good question. Actually, the classic case in which the defence of necessity was created was the case of two starving sailors at sea who killed and ate their cabin boy. (The sailors who killed and ate their companion lost the case, but only because the court ruled they could have survived without killing him.)

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 19:38: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Has there been any effort to devise such drug tests? Having to deliver a battery of tests rather than a single one would be an inconvenience and an expense even if such tests existed. Then again, there's really nothing to prevent one from driving while high right now by that rationale. Seems like there's a hole somewhere.

Somewhere I picked up the idea that drugs would have to be used in a controlled location. While that would solve the resale problems, especially to minors, the number of people who would choose to use drugs outside of the safety and comfort of their own homes might be very slim. And it's more expensive. To be honest, I don't know where I came up with this preconception.

—Alorael, who will now have to find a way to lock himself up temporarily with an easy victim whom he must consume to survive. You haven't enjoyed fine cuisine until you've compared it with long pig.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Mysterious Mod:

Has there been any effort to devise such drug tests?
Yes. A roadside saliva testing program for marijuana and amphetamines was recently trialled in Australia. The results were pretty embarrassing, with several false positives in the first few days after the system was introduced. Needless to say, the testing regime was declared not ready for prime time and scrapped soon afterwards.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
I would imagine that the old "recite the alphabet backwards" or "walk a straight line" tests would be adequate, though — if you're so out of it that you can't do that, you shouldn't be driving, no matter whether the cause is alcohol, marijuana, or fatigue. It may not catch everyone, but it'd be enough.

Obviously the tax money from any legalization should go directly into education, prevention, and treatment programs, including advertising cab services for the intoxicated.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 20:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
I really tried hard to concentrate and read everything, but I may have missed something, and I apologize if I am repeating words of another.

I compare drugs and alcohol and see no real difference other than that created by law making bodies. Just that there are different effects and strengths and delivery systems. In the USA, states are the governing body on alcohol distribution, whereas the Feds attempt to control drugs. In my home state, medical marijuana is legal under state law, but not federal law. So it really starts with jurisdiction.

Once jurisdiction is solved, then it becomes free-market. A gov't body regulates/tests/certifies drugs much like the FDA and USDA (well not the USDA) currently operate. That means you can be sure the product is whatever substance and grade you desire. The government is free to tax that substance to cover the increases in drug related crime (thinking drugged driving, not mugging) and substance abuse clinics. Basically a tax to cover the social costs of the substance, which is currently born by all tax payers, would be solely on the users.

Finally, the topic of underage use is worrisome, but it already exists with alcohol and cigs. I would suggest a age limit for drugs being legal. Say, whatever it is written "alcoholic beverage," just add "and drugs."

Now I suppose someone could say that that meant parents could dope up their kids like they give them a little wine around the holidays, but come on.

*this message is brought to you by the letters D, E, and A*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
A minimum age on drugs is an obvious clause, and yes, underage drugs probably wouldn't increase with legalization. It's not like all kids drink, and for those too young to use the drugs legal for others even the law wouldn't really have changed (though penalties might).

Jurisdiction is an entirely different can of worms.

—Alorael, who can barely manage a straight line sober and who cannot recite the alphabet backwards in any way, shape, or form. No, this is not entirely due to skribbane. It's never come up, but he'd have to ask for a breathalyzer test to spare himself added humiliation and suspicion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
Then it's settled. As of Monday, the 20th of June, 2005, it shall be as we said it should be and to Exile with those that oppose us.

*this message furnished by trojan, who encourages moderation in all activities*
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #33
This recent news story may illustrate why the prohibition on pot is worrisome to some.

*this message furnished by the defenestration council of america*
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
Another recent news article about the widespread use of herbal pain relief.

*this message brought to you with reluctance*

Pages