I Am The Lac Insect

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I Am The Lac Insect
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Unbabelfished:
In Spain they call to the Computers: Computers.
It's accurate verbatim, but actually it was a commentary on difference in vocabulary. (Does that make Spanish computers OPs?)

quote:
Light (or Mab) of which it leaves from Spain you are?
Luz (or Mab): What part of Spain are you from?

quote:
They plow: "They plow" means "they plow" or "you plow" (but they remember that deberia of being "you arais" since you he is but formal.
Poor Babelfish. This really doesn't translate directly well, and it only needs some parts translated. Anywa... "Aran" is the third person plural of "to plow," which is also the second person plural outside of Spain. In Spain there's another conjugation for a different plural, vosotros. [Ed: BSC seems to suggest that vosotros is more formal, but I thought it was the informal. Or maybe I'm not quite competent...] "Caytar" doesn't translate.

I'm not going to attempt the last tongue twister, but it's about confused memories and not trusting them, I think. Is confabulation as uncommon a word in Spanish as it is in English?

—Alorael, who yields his dead Spanish to the competent.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #27
Hey. I was very wrong. Ustedes is, usually, considered to be formal (Usted, singular, ustedes plural.) Vosotros is usually considered to be informal, or familiar. (Tu, singular, vosotros plural)

The odd thing is in some places "vosotros" has been completely obliterated from the language. So, for example, here in Venezuela we don't use vosotros at all. It's only ustedes (it's a little similar to "you" in English. Only that in singular we still have the formal and informal)

But, even in Spain there are places where "vosotros" has been substituted by ustedes.

I think "confabular" is uncommon in Spanish. I'd almost say that iy has a "literary" meaning. It'd be very unusual to hear it in casual talk. Funny thing is that whenever I hear it is usually in the context of "plotting," as in conspiracies and keeping secrets. (At least in this neck of the woods.)
(I thought that "confabulate" in English was to plot, but it's "to converse informally," "to chat." just like the dictionary definition of it in Spanish.)

My question to you is: when you use confabulate, which use do you give it?

Anyhoo, that funky tongue twister would be something like this:

Confucius was confabulating a confusing confabulation. Confused, he didn't trust the confusing [confused] confabulation he had just finished confabulating.

Buscaba el bosque Francisco,
un vasco bizco, muy brusco,
y al verlo le dijo un chusco,
¿Busca el bosque, vasco bizco?

Bye.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Update: good news and bad news. Bad news: computer broke down again, is officially on its last legs. Good news: this gave me an excuse to get a brand new computer.

I am dizzy with power.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #29
Cool as. At least now (temporaily) I will be able to understand some of the posts.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
Do you touch your computer at night? :P

Anyway, good to see you're back and won't be gone that soon again. The female stalkers of Spiderweb missed you, I'm certain. :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
Thanks. The new comp's great so far. Just one problem, really, which is that the fan is loud. (The previous computer's fan was quiet, because it was broken, which is why the computer overheated and buggered up.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #32
How expensive or impractical would be for you buy a silent fan?

Anyway, congrats. on the power that you hold!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages