Fill me in!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fill me in!
Apprentice
Member # 5449
Profile #0
What's the background for these games?
Like when did they start? Who started them and how did they come up with the idea?
If anyone knows!

--------------------
Things happen in any way, anytime, anywhere even if you don't Believe!!! It can.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Well, they're made by Jeff Vogel. Spiderweb Software's website includes some information about Jeff Vogel, how he originally came to be a software designer (his first publicly released game was Exile, released around 1994 if memory serves). SW is now a three-person operation, including Jeff Vogel, who's the only programmer of the three, so in some ways it hasn't really strayed too far from its roots.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #2
Wow, only three people. Had no idea it was that small.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Am I right in thinking that while Jeff designs the engines for these games, all three of them contribute to the plotlines, making towns and stuf? He made some reference about how he had to finish the GF3 engine because his employees really needed something to do, which gave me the impression that he makes the engines, but they also fill in the details.

The About Us page on the web site has lots of good information about Spiderweb and where it comes from.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
It would be almost impossible in a three person company for the two who aren't programming not to have any input. One day, Jeff says, "I just made X and Y." Mariann or Linda says, "Great, have you thought about Z?" Z enters the game.

Or Jeff could depend on this and ask the two of them to write up people and places and things and plots to stick in the games. They still don't actually code them in, but they make them.

That's assuming that the other two don't touch the games at all. It's quite possible that Jeff does all the engine coding and then turns it over to Linda and Mariann for content to some extent. His comment about finishing the GF3 engine supports this hypothesis.

—Alorael, who is reasonably sure (with no real basis) that Jeff maintains veto power over game contents. Still, if you work with someone every day, especially if you're married to him, you can't help but have some influence on the game even if the programmer is totally opposed to everything you say.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by [b:
The One Lighter[/b]]
Wow, only three people. Had no idea it was that small.
I didn't either. I thought it was pretty small though, considering how long it takes to make them and theyre not big compared to most games these days.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!