Next Spiderweb Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Next Spiderweb Game
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #50
He ain't taking the 3rd-party games on anymore. They didn't sell well. That basically answers your question.

Personally, I think the key to a good game is good characters.

They need to be BELIEVABLE - As you watch them, despite the extremes of their actions, there's that bit inside you that says "Yeah. I know how he thinks. I could be like that, if I wanted." It adds a tremendous amount to any story in any medium. You want to emulate the heros, who do incredible stuff despite being regular people at heart. The villains give you a weird chill, because, as terrible and twisted as they are, you can see things through their eyes, and it makes sense. Watch Collateral. It has an excellent example of both cases.

They need to be INTERESTING - Make us think about them even when they aren't around. This depends a lot on the situation they are in. A coward who avoids risks at any cost isn't usually too fascinating to watch... until he's in a situation where there is no easy out and we see how far he's willing to go to save his own hide. Continuing with the example of Collateral, Max is a simple, honest cabbie. Boring. Unless he's forced to drive an assassin to his victims. The situation shows who he really is, and what he's willing to do when the chips are down. How far do you have to push him before he's ready to risk his life? How far before he's willing to die?

There's other stuff, of course, but if someone gets that right, I'll forgive almost anything else.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #51
Subterra is also the only one of the third-party games to have gained a following at these boards - probably by being by far the best out of them.
Apprentice
Member # 4391
Profile #52
I was more thinking of spidweb having a go itself. It would have more credibility that way. Also many third party games suffered from only being avaliable on one OS, (or just being plain not so good).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #53
Jeff always makes his games by himself. It's only the ones made by other people that are, well, made by other people.

As for the "pseudo-3D RPGs" or, more properly, isometric RPGs, Jeff has already said that he might be tempted to try something different if it weren't such a risk. Despite naysayers here, the games do sell well. He can't please everybody, and he knows he pleases somebody enough to fill his wallet when he makes another Avernum.

—Alorael, who also wouldn't mind seeing something different. But he still enjoys the Avernum style, and he doesn't think a one man operation like Spiderweb can compete with the big boys in the maintream market niches. Besides, who knows if Jeff could make a decent strategy game or first person shooter or whatever?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #54
Jeff should make a scorched earth style game, where you run around as one of his goons beating people to death with lead pipes :P

Ahem... well Jeffs RPG's like Avernum are some of my favourite games, personally I really hope Geneforge 3's combat is as fun as Avernums, the combat in Geneforge 1 and 2 was pretty boring although Aura of Flames is great, I ended up using the recharge cheat just to kill everybody with Aura of Flames, tending to yell BURN! or YOU WILL BURN! Avernum 4...Im not very sure about this, but if Jeff can get it to be as addictive as the other 3 Im buying it even if I have no idea how he will do it (unless hes crazy I think he will do a prequal, although I would really like to play as Empire soldiers, maybe in the Empire-Avernum war.

--------------------
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00

Pages