Blades of Exile or Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Blades of Exile or Avernum?
Apprentice
Member # 4930
Profile #0
I'm trying to decide which of these to buy. (Sure, this is the Spiderweb board, so somebody's going to say "Both!" But let's consider that not an option for now). ;)

Avernum: I like the updated graphics. This is the newest game and has the most potential for growth? But this game has been out for a while now, and I only see 1 scenario on Spiderweb's "Good Scenarios" list. What's the deal?

Exile: I think I like some of the more complex gameplay options. Dual weilding, ability to poison blades, things like that. And there are many scenarios on the list that look pretty good. But I suspect it will be hard to go back to the old style graphics and interface.

The third option is get Nethergate instead, which is sort of middle ground between the two in terms of graphics/interface. This was my favorite Spiderweb game back in the day, but when I went back to the demo, the old interface irked me (can't drag and drop items, no cool buttons for casting spells). That and the fact that every Celt player's inventory pic is that fuzzy-headed mustachioed dude. :(

Any chance for Nethergate revised (ala Avernum)? :D
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #1
Blades of Avernum is still very new, and what's out for it now is probably only a very, very small fraction of what will eventually be produced. But Blades of Exile will be oodles of fun right now if you buy it, and probably keep you very happy until such time as you can afford to register BoA. I'd recommend Exile, personally.

As for Nethergate, it doesn't look like Jeff will ever revisit it. A shame, in my opinion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #2
I have debating just like you. You are not the only one, to ask this question. You have friends in this epic decision... I personally think BoE is the best choice out of the two. Though Avernum has better graphics, in BoE you can do much more. I have concluded that I will buy BoA to play scenarios, not to make them because I hear it is difficult, and BoE is hard enough for me. Actually, I say this all here.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #3
To say that you can do so much more with BoE is rather doubtful. I am under the impression that more can be done with BoA. But the purchase of BoE is probably the better choice at the time. The only reason that I went the other way was that the disks have to be sent to you instead of simply an evelope with the Reg code. Slim basis for decision I know but hey!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
BoE has enough scenarios to keep you playing forever. It has enough good scenarios to keep you playing for a very, very long time, and there are still more being made. It has brilliant works that will never be ported to BoA. If you can handle the engine, and it really shouldn't be hard after the first readjustments, it's a great thing to buy.

BoA is more of an investment in potential scenarios. What you get now isn't impressive. In fact, I'd say Nethergate is probably a better purchase than BoA. But the BoA scenario editor is extremely powerful, so when the scenarios really get rolling, we can expect great things.

If you're an aspiring designer yourself, the two are very different. BoE has some very well-known bugs that are annoying (not ruinous, but annoying), but it's easy to use. BoA requires more real programming without a GUI to help you along, but it's far more flexible. You can do far more with BoA than with BoE.

As for Nethergate, it's a great game, but it's not really on par with the potentially endless hours of gameplay from BoE/BoA. I'd advise getting it eventually, but if you're on a tight budget, a Blades game should come first.

—Alorael, who still hopes for Nethergate sequels, prequels, and other quels made with BoA. The engine is slightly different, but surely some brilliant person will pull it off...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00