New distribution...?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: New distribution...?
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #0
This is mostly just my hope... that is, that the newer SW games will be distributed differently then they are now. Any chance somebody high-up can comment on the chances? I'd be happy if intelligent people offered some thoughts too.

So, maybe a CD like Nethergate, and it would have to require the CD to play... and then have some sort of CD protection... okay, scratch that. Any other methods of secure distribution?

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 12:42: Message edited by: Imban ]

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Edited: Telling people how to get a crack, even if it's really obvious, is less than appreciated.
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #2
The relatively low ammount of interest in Spidweb games, and a moderately safe shareware code system works fine now. I can buy a game and be playing it within a day, instead of waiting for a CD to ship. Shareware is a good concept, and small companies like Spidweb rely on the concept to sell their games. I don't believe that Spidweb has a huge problem with piracy, I don't know about others, but I purchased every Spidweb game I own.

People who buy shareware tend to be a little more benevolent towards small time producers than large companies.

Feh, didn't see the crack part.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 12:55: Message edited by: Logalot^2 ]

--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #3
Sorry 'bout that Imban. Didn't think about it in that kind of light.

I just thought that SW must be missing out on some money... so it's not a big problem, you say? Still... hey, does it do any good to give SW the sites that host cracks? As in, can they sue or anything? (don't worry, I won't post them here)

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Nope. Won't do any good.

I sent Jeff such a site once, and got this response. For all I know, the site is still up and offering its crack. :rolleyes:

quote:

Thanks for letting me know. We don't worry too much abouit [sic] hacks. Crackers
aren't our target audience. They never pay anyway.

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software, Inc.

One reason often mentioned for why people who ask for cracks here get stamped as morons pretty unanimously is that these boards are run by the company, thus making it pretty much a request to rip off themselves.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 14:09: Message edited by: Imban ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
Edited : Aran's post, for the same reason as Xan's. Even if it seems obvious, refrain from posting any methods you could use to find cracks. -_-
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Crackers and those who use their work aren't quite the ultimate evil some like to paint them as.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #7
They aren't much for ultimate evil, but they do take money away from developers... unless, of course, whoever uses the crack would not have paid anyway. So it's probly very hard to tell just how much money you loose, even if you can determine about how many people are cracking a program.

It's the hackers that deserve the bad name... they're much more apt to do evil that actually does significant damage. (not all do, and generalizations are bad. but still)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
You know, the proper term for hacker in the sense you mean is also cracker. Hackers are are programmers, and the majority of programmers aren't particularly malicious.

—Alorael, who doesn't think that crackers are the root of all evil. On the other hand, they commit petty theft, and sometimes enough counts of it to constitute grand larceny. True, it's less malicious and less harmful than someone who grabs cash from your wallet, but it's theft nonetheless.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #9
It's not theft, it's copyright violation. There's a difference. Both legally and ethically.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
You can still go to jail for copyright violation, at least in Australia.

The thing about more secure copy-protection systems is that they're generally more inconvenient for the end user, which means customers are lost, which defeats the whole purpose of having them in the first place, which was to sell more copies of the game.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!