Compare and Contrast

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Compare and Contrast
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #0
Freetings,

I have been considering buying the blades of Avernum game but I find myself hearing a lot of people both prose it and list things that displease them with it. I am rather short on funds right now and so, in an attempt to further understand it and make my decision, I would like to ask this question.

What are the merits of BoA and BoE?

What is the problems with Each?

Graphics aside, which ones is easier to make scenerios with?

Which one has more options for making interesting and varied adventures?

What do each of you think about each of the games?

Is BoA replacing BoE now that it is out?

--------------------
If Magic is your crutch, cast it off and walk without.
Diablo 1 Manual

Truth is good manners, manners are a fiction.
Mark Twain
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
3. (and answering 4. too, probably) The general opinion seems to be that Blades of Exile is easier to handle for beginners, while Blades of Avernum requires a lot of training (and learning the scripting language). On the other hand, Blades of Exile has severe limitations, so if you come up with any original ideas for the gameplay (teleporting monsters, short movie scenes, etc.), it is far easier to incorporate them with Blades of Avernum.

6. No. Even though many agree that the Avernum engine allows for easier gameplay than the Exile one, nobody will abandon BoE. There are tons of good scenarios for BoE; more are still coming out, and they're still being played. Seeing as those most experienced with using BoE (and thus most capable of producing quality scenarios) also have the least trouble with its limitations (and thus the least incentive to switch to BoA), there will be good Blades of Exile scenarios out for yet some time. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

[ Tuesday, June 22, 2004 07:13: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
If you want to play scenarios, get BoE. If you want to make scenarios, get BoA. If you want to do both, get both.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
1) BoA - really versatile scripting language, more advanced graphics
BoE - lots of good scenarios
2) BoA - scripting language is hard to learn, not many scenarios released yet
BoE - nodes are severely lacking in some ways, graphics could be considered really dated
3) BoE is easier if you're just going to throw something together, with no really complicated features. However, BoA's scripting language is much more powerful and versatile and can help you put together what you want rather than what the editor lets you do.
4) BoA... sort of. The zillions of almost-never-used BoE terrain sets out there could make for some really unusual adventures, should someone choose to use them. BoA's scripting, however, can make your actual designs much more varied.
5) Both are great fun in their own ways, although BoA needs more scenarios.
6) I don't really think it can replace BoE for just pure fun until there are many more scenarios designed for BoA. Hopefully, though, BoA scenario design should (for the most part) replace BoE scenario design, so us BoA players can have something to do.

[ Tuesday, June 22, 2004 09:43: Message edited by: Imban ]
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #4
Well, as long as it seems to still be in general use I am toing to stick with BoE. I'll probably buy BoA when I get some spare change but I won't stress about it. Thank you.

--------------------
Diablo 1 Manual

Mark Twain
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #5
Well, I am been doing some further thinking and reading and I must say that I am interested in BoA, or at least in trying it out.

Tell me, is there a way, short of buying it, that will allow me to test the editor and be able to view the results in game? Would I be able to modiphy Valley of Dying Things through the editor and then play through my modification? It is not that I want to cheat Spiderweb or anything, I simply want to try it out before deciding if I should buy BoA or if I should just stick to BoE.

Any recomendations or am I out of line here? If I am out of line please say so and I shall leave this idea alone. As I said, my intention is not to cheat anyone but simply to study and experiment so that I can figure out which one I like better.

--------------------
Diablo 1 Manual

Mark Twain
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #6
I believe that would work. I don't know if it's completely legitimate, but long ago, I did it with BoE to see whether it worked before buying it. I'd say it's a reasonable thing to do, as long as you don't make huge modifications.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
If you have the money to buy both, buy both, especially if you intend to design. BoE is easier, but BoA isn't too hard to learn, and it is less buggy, more powerful, and still (at the present time) has technical support.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4230
Profile #8
I will have to try it I suppose.

Believe me, if I had the money I would have already ordered it. I have owned BoE for the past few years but I am currently in college so money for things like games is rather short. However, I might be able to work something out should I like what I see.

--------------------
Diablo 1 Manual

Mark Twain
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
I think BoE does actually check to see if you've modified VoDT, so you can't do things like adding entire new towns.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #10
BoA doesn't. You can actually import other scenarios over the top of VoDT if you really want.

I'd recommend getting BoE. There's loads of scenarios to keep you busy while you're saving up for BoA.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom