Geneforge Political Spectrum

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge Political Spectrum
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #25
Geneforge Gaiden!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

At this point, I am planning for Geneforge 5 to be the last game in the main story arc.
Oh, I always thought you were going for a double trillogy, George Lucas style. No matter, you're already way cooler than George Lucas because he would never comment or anything in a Star Wars forum.

I probably put self-shaping as one of the axes because of personal bias. I think it's an important issue, and cleary, as you can see by the visuals, those of us that support excessive shaping and still hate creations are underrepresented. I still think the Shapers should be placed lower on the 'shaping' axis than they are in Actaeon's graph simply because they are one of the most restrictive sects relatively speaking.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #27
The best trilogy is a trilogy of trilogies. Lucas chickened out. He originally intended a trilogy of trilogies.

A trilogy of trilogies is typically presented in this order: # 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
"Typically"? What trilogy of trilogies goes in that order, other than the projected one for Star Wars?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #29
I made the graph as a rough visualization of what I thought would make sense. My y axis did not refer simply to self shaping, but also included the extreme for the Trakovites. I am entirely willing to admit that it is severely flawed, and I am willing to provide the blank graph if anyone would like to edit it.

quote:
Originally written by vld:

quote:
At this point, I am planning for Geneforge 5 to be the last game in the main story arc.
So Geneforge 6(yes, i`m speaking about distant future) might take place in another continent or after/before many years and be more like a sidestory?

Oh dear. This could be interpreted by many desperate Geneforge addicts to be a sign that Jeff may be easing toward the idea of a Blades of Geneforge game. Someone link to a page where he denies it completely, before things get out of hand!

Also, although I do not know what vld was considering for G6, but I would think, if it ever got that far, that a prequel might be nice. Something to do with the discovery of shaping. Personally, though, I will be quite satisfied if Geneforge ends in number five, even relieved.

[ Friday, February 16, 2007 12:37: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Behold.

IMAGE(http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3674/spectrumgr7.gif)

Where do you fall?

Where do I fall? Exactly where you are. But with my own invisible group name.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #31
I don't know how many trilogies of trilogies there are. However, one example is the Drizzt series written by RA Salvatore. Originally, he wrote a trilogy, then did the homeland series which came before the first trilogy, and then a series that came after the first trilogy. All trilogies...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

At this point, I am planning for Geneforge 5 to be the last game in the main story arc. At the end of it, you get to decide for good and all what happens.

Yikes. That's a while away, but still. I always imagined playing Geneforge until I turned 18, and then hopefully getting a job with Spidweb and helping to create the next great Geneforge.

But G5 is THE END?

NOOOOOO!

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Creation rights (least to most supportive):
(halfway point)
* Trakovites -- Peace and equality
* Awakened (Ellhrah) -- Peace and equality
* Trajkov -- Equality
* Takers (Gnorrel) -- Freedom at any cost
* Rebels (Greta, Litalia) -- Freedom at any cost, destroy Shapers
* Rebels (Akhari Blaze) -- Drakons dominate (and support?) other creations, destroy Shapers
I would actually switch the Rebels under Akhari Blaze (or better yet, Ghaldring) with the Awakened. The Awakened support creation rights the most, to the point of wanting to cut themselves off from the rest of the world just so they can live normal lives. Ghaldring, on the other hand, is willing to treat other creations like crap in order to accomplish his more politically oriented goals (land, power, revenge). I think he is a lot less interested in creation rights than he would have you believe. That is... assuming he ever even claimed to be interested in them at all.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
*nod*
This is true. I always thought of the Awakened in the middle as they are not actively hostile towards the Shapers, and in G1/2 that made a lot of sense. With the more recent rebel attitude it may make sense to flip as such. Shrug.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #35
I've noticed that most Spiderwebbers like to consider themselves Trakovites, however, when given the choice between the Rebellion and the Shapers, they side with the Shapers. I can only conclude from this that most Spiderwebbers fear shaping more than they care about creation rights. Anyone care to make a defense for this rather pitiful position?

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 02:33: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #36
It's really the out of control shaping that leads to the Unbound. Jeff hammers home the point that this type of self-shaping and the excessive use of canisters leads to an emotionally devoid creation/person with no respect/empathy/caring about others.

The Trakovites believe in creation rights and a gradual decrease to no new shaping. They are scared by the extremes of both sides during this Rebellion. It seems part of it is based upon lack of information since Drewey has little knowledge of the Drakons. The few Trakovites that have access to that knowledge, like Shoragass and the nameless assistant to Litalia slain in Western Barrier Zone, haven't been able to talk to others.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
Well, keep in mind that the Rebellion as of G4 only really supports creation rights for Drakons (and sometimes Drayks). The Drakons, essentially the surviving part of the Rebellion, were going to destroy all the other creations with the Unbound anyway. So the choice isn't really about creation rights anymore.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6216
Profile #38
Man, oh, man. I see posts like these and get very frightened.
Is it possible to just PLAY the game without spending a few hours figuring out various characters and politics?
I have played the three previous games as well as the Avernum series but this one seems to require a whole new learning curve. I am less interested (actually not at all interested) in working out stats than just playing the STORY.
What are the odds of ending up with totally lame, unplayable characters if I just dove in? Conversely, will I miss some interesting story lines if I don't dedicate a few days figuring out the various politics and backstories?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
Just grab the character you like best and play. Make the decisions that sound best to you and have fun. You can worry about min/maxing and hitting new storylines in later playthroughs.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #40
Don't worry, you can just play the game and not think too deeply about these issues.

It may be slightly difficult not to think of them at all however, because the different sects give you obviously competing quests.

Therefore, if you really don't want to think about these things, I recommend either picking one side of the other and sticking with it. Or maybe go at it from a powergaming perspective.

Personally, I am trying to do what the MIA Awakened sect would want, with the exception of losing stats to Moseh(a).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #41
It's very hard to cripple a character if you put any thought into your stats at all. You know, don't raise melee if you're a mage and baton user, don't raise your Battle Shaping so you can make better drayks, that sort of thing. The extreme stat wringing we do hear is because we like that sort of thing.

There are no wrong faction choices. You'll get slightly different rewards, talk to some different people, go to some different places, and get a different ending depending on where you throw your support, but that should just be based on what you think is best or what you think is most interesting.

—Alorael, who supports the Shapers because the Trakovites are idealists who have no way to actually put their beliefs into practice and the Rebels are dangerous lunatics who aren't capable of producing a responsible and stable state. The Shapers aren't great, but they're not too bad when they're not being forced to use scorched earth tactics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #42
... until the next rebellion.

I too favour the Shapers for game purposes, but I was intrigued by the Trakovite ending, which pointed the way to an eventual resolution in Geneforge 5. Given that, and what Jeff said earlier, it's pretty clear that in Geneforge 5 the PC will be given the choice over whether shaping itself should be allowed to continue. I'd say probably not.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #43
I have always been loyal to the shaper cause in previous games but now im a rebel..but I think that I may like the trakovites too.

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 16:30: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #44
Or. . . Blades of Geneforge!

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #45
There it is again :rolleyes:

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Shine123:

Is it possible to just PLAY the game without spending a few hours figuring out various characters and politics?
There are plenty of threads here with stratagies and statistics and other nonsense, feel free to look at those.

To all you Trakovites turned Shapers, is it not cowardly to walk the line between supporting creation rights and limiting shaping, and then when the going gets tough abandon the creations in favor of conservative Shaperism? What good is any ideal unless you are willing to fight for it? How can there be progress in either direction if whenever shaping gets a bit out of hand, you run back to the Shapers to feel safe?

What if we stepped outside the game and assumed there was a Trakovite faction with some strength. They would fight for creation rights and limiting shaping. However, they would also execute all Shapers and drakon shapers that they got their hands on. Would you fight with them?

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #47
You may miss out on some minor quest and rewards, but play the game however you want. Lately there have been several power gaming threads showing how it is possible to play certain characters. And then there are the challenges where after playing the game several times it's now time to play it with restrictions.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

is it not cowardly to walk the line
You call Johnny Cash a coward, Johnny Cash will break your face.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

IMAGE(http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3674/spectrumgr7.gif)]
I fall on the bottom right quadrant, near the Trakovites. Ironic, since I despise pretty much everything about the Trakovite cause, and even had one executed.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes

Pages